Why A 3A Fuse Protecting Gas-Related Electrical Circuits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Big debate raging on Electrics UK...
Is it written in Gas Regs, or just manufacturer's recommendations?

Cheers, people!

Sponsored Links
The reason, or how justified it is, is a separate issue.

It would be good to know if it is actually a requirement in the gas regulations.

Sponsored Links
...which over-ride gas regulations
But what does that mean?

Does it mean that an MI can allow things otherwise not allowed by the gas regulations?

Is it relevant to this - wouldn't "over-ride" only matter if the gas regs forbade a 3A fuse but the MI required it? Otherwise what gas reg(s) would the MI be overriding?

But what does that mean?

Does it mean that an MI can allow things otherwise not allowed by the gas regulations?

Is it relevant to this - wouldn't "over-ride" only matter if the gas regs forbade a 3A fuse but the MI required it? Otherwise what gas reg(s) would the MI be overriding?

No not really overide the gas regs, but the manufacturers instructions are paramount they've manufactured the product, had it tested and certified so as regarding the appliance their instructions are the ones that are adhered to, there's not usually a conflict between the gas regs and Mi but if there is Mi take precedence.

For some reason (bear with me and I'll try to come up with an excuse) I missed this off my last post:

What do the gas regs actually say about following MIs?

The wiring regs used to say "Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment".

That got changed a while ago to "The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions", which is not as prescriptive, and I was wondering how it is with gas things.

This appears to be the current understanding:
  1. There are no requirements in the Wiring Regulations for gas appliance supplies to be fused at 3A.
  2. There are no requirements in any gas regulations for gas appliance supplies to be fused at 3A.
  3. The Wiring Regulations do not make it mandatory to abide by any manufacturer instructions.
  4. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations (I'm assuming it is they) do make it mandatory to abide by any manufacturer instructions.
  5. Some gas appliance manufacturers require 3A fusing in the UK.
  6. Some gas appliance manufacturers do not require 3A fusing outside the UK.
  7. Nobody knows why #5 is justified, particularly when #6 applies to the same appliance sold elsewhere.
  8. Notwithstanding #7, #4 means that observing #5 is not optional.

Isn't that a bit tricky if the MI mandates 3A, and the regulations mandate doing what the MI says?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back