Why are dehumidfiers sold out everywhere?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try to get one below £250 - all sold out everywhere
Super confused
Has the world gone out to but dehumidifiers??
Where did I miss the news on the TV about this?

Found a meaco on Amazon (fulfilled by meaco) £160, 10L.
Same one on meaco approved seller website for £15 cheaper, but this one comes with 5 year warranty instead of 3.
Buying this.
Shocked to find low availability.

Sponsored Links
People drying washing on radiators and airers to save using the tumble dryer, use them to avoid condensation and mold.

Try to get one below £250 - all sold out everywhere
Super confused
Has the world gone out to but dehumidifiers??
Where did I miss the news on the TV about this?

Found a meaco on Amazon (fulfilled by meaco) £160, 10L.
Same one on meaco approved seller website for £15 cheaper, but this one comes with 5 year warranty instead of 3.
Buying this.
Shocked to find low availability.

On a job at the moment where decorators are in one half of the project painting, I'm in the other half plastering, that's a lot of water going into the air, shortly before xmas the paint was still wet after 24 hours and we thought we had a major leak in the toilet, turned out to be condensation. Phoned Jewsons to hire a dehumidifier, the last one had been collected by someone from 50 miles away, 2 other branches had hired them all out.
Eventually got one from a hire shop but their was certainly a run on them.

There are articles advising us to buy dehumidifers to use this winter, and other articles advising us to buy humidifiers to use this winter.

Sponsored Links
Mould madness, that’s why! My friend couldn’t buy one and had to borrow one for one of her tenants.

06CBC5D2-E382-45B1-A82D-37768637707E.jpeg

In my experience Positive Input Ventilation is a lot more effective at controlling mould than a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier can reduce the humidity in a single room but a PIV can do the whole house.

Though it may force moist air into/through parts of the building fabric that wouldn't normally experience it so much; MVHR is the gold standard, but a lot more tricky to install in the majority of cases - PIV's a good compromise

try the Meaco arete 10l one, it was in stock on amazon from Meaco themselves yesterday, when we bought one.
It may not arrive for a week but is in stock and about £100 less than your suggesting.
ALlo get a 5 year warranty if bought from Meaco.

We have the 20l one and it works well, just want a smaller one for the living room.

Since that lad died a month or so ago "from a damp mouldy" home, landlords, councils and associations have gone mad trying to not be the next one on the news.

Having gone through several unsuitable/faulty units before Xmas we are struggling to find a replacement as about all that's left in stock are substandard designs (for example those that leave the fan running 24/7). So looks like we will have to wait for new stock to arrive and I can imagine what will happen to the pricing!

It's because all of these flats going up everywhere.
They suffer from crazy condensation.
I have seen lots of them where ceilings are dripping.

Mine is due to arrive next Tuesday. Must not be in the UK then...

Try Appliances Direct, limited choice but some in stock, my lad got one ordered new years day. Quick delivery, cant fault them, I have 2 :mrgreen:

A dehumidifier can reduce the humidity in a single room but a PIV can do the whole house.
The problem is that a PIV system is a much more expensive and time consuming option if it hasn't been installed in the house at build time

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back