WHY ARE ROMAN ROADS BURRIED 20 FT UNDERGROUNG

Sponsored Links
I watched a prog on The Discovery channel ,its all down to when the Romans left the UK the Picts/ Celts /Saxons ,they burnt down these buildings an roads were left to get covered with silt/mud an grasse lands over the years the land changed ...

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
I watched a prog on The Discovery channel ,its all down to when the Romans left the UK the Picts/ Celts /Saxons ,they burnt down these buildings an roads were left to get covered with silt/mud an grasse lands over the years the land changed ...

Didnt we have a time called the dark ages where most things were destroyed??

Dark Ages .....
That was when the Picts/Celts/Saxons blew out them candles an went berserk ..lol

farming is a major cause with roads being buried under fields as they are ploughed and reploughed

But did the Romans actually sweep roads? I would suppose that it was the Roman armies being marched up and down that kept the road surface exposed. In the dark ages the roads were used less. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the stones used for them were nicked and re-used to build houses and castles.

Of course, would you want to drive on a Roman road? I've been to Pompeii and they didn't look as good as a bit of tarmaccadiam...

Weird thing is, people look both ways before crossing the road (on those stepping stones you see, which are spaced to let the wheels of a chariot pass through the gaps... which according to legend is linked to the standard railway gauge), even though the last wagons rolled through there nearly 2000 years ago.

pompeii.jpg

Why are roman roads buried 20' underground?

Simple, round here it's so that the bloody off-road 4x4'ers can't find them!!

They built them like that, so they could sneek up on the English, without being seen. Roman Roads were actually the inspiration for the London Tube Network.

The word "mile" was derived from the roman word "Mole". (The distance dug by a mole in one day). When Romans when down the tunnels to continue digging the roads, they always took a mole with them. This was to alert them to toxic gasses. This obvioulsy limited the distance dug, by each roadworker, to just one mile per day. (if they went any faster, thier mole wouldn't be able to keep up).

The limitations imposed by the moles was overcome, when they were replaced with Killer mice. The distance dug by a pack of Killer mice was directly proportional to the number of mice in the team. The Romans had already left England before this inovation. This is why we still refer to miles, whereas, on the continent they use kilometers. (derived from killer mouses).

TexMex said:
They built them like that, so they could sneek up on the English, without being seen. Roman Roads were actually the inspiration for the London Tube Network.

The word "mile" was derived from the roman word "Mole". (The distance dug by a mole in one day). When Romans when down the tunnels to continue digging the roads, they always took a mole with them. This was to alert them to toxic gasses. This obvioulsy limited the distance dug, by each roadworker, to just one mile per day. (if they went any faster, thier mole wouldn't be able to keep up).

The limitations imposed by the moles was overcome, when they were replaced with Killer mice. The distance dug by a pack of Killer mice was directly proportional to the number of mice in the team. The Romans had already left England before this inovation. This is why we still refer to miles, whereas, on the continent they use kilometers. (derived from killer mouses).

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

They deserve it dont they Tex?

Sponsored Links
Back