why are so many people anti lithium ion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a general question as I've been looking at posts asking for advice on which drill is best. I have noticed a few responses advising folks to avoid li-ion. I asked about the LXT range and opted to stick with MXT, after reading responses.

Is there a particular problem with these tools, or is it that they are generally inferior to Ni-mh and Ni-cad?

Sponsored Links
In a nutshell, less power and overheating issues. However some people have no issues with them.

there seem to have been no problems with the bosch 36v or the 10.8v . Makita did seem to have some problems which now seem to have been resolved.
I'd avoid the lxt and mxt as both have very suspect gearboxes.The cordless that i would reccommend would be the bosch "turbo tough" very powerfull , very tough and since it was launched about a year ago i've seen no problems with them at all

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies.
Interesting article Mattylad.

MXT now very near dead and I have looked at the Bosch.
Have a GBH24V and it's excellent, so I think I'll go with the advice from seaangler.

Is there a particular problem with these tools, or is it that they are generally inferior to Ni-mh and Ni-cad?

the tools are fine as demonstrated by normal performance when batteries are new.

batteries are rubbish as demonstrated by the fact that after a month of professional use they are powerless. Unable to provide sufficient current for the normal work of the tool rendering the tool professionally useless. Probably goes unnoticed by the amateur who is only playing .

li-ion is nothjing moire than a useless gimmick. Not professionally viable. It may never be.

the tools are fine as demonstrated by normal performance when batteries are new.

batteries are rubbish as demonstrated by the fact that after a month of professional use they are powerless. Unable to provide sufficient current for the normal work of the tool rendering the tool professionally useless. Probably goes unnoticed by the amateur who is only playing .

li-ion is nothjing moire than a useless gimmick. Not professionally viable. It may never be.

pardon me for being blunt - but what a load of crap :eek: (please note - i used a far stronger word than rubbish !)
over the last couple of years ive sold a lot of bosch 10.8 and 36v lithium powered drills and have NEVER had the slightest moan directed at me ( and there aint many DIYers who would spend well over £300 on a cordess drill)

ive been using the hitachi kit with lithium ion batteries and been impressed with it so far, especailly compared to the old nim batteries

Seaangler you clearly have a vested interest in promiting them I have no vested interest in speaking the truth of my experience both with Makita and hilti li ion power tools.

Oddly today my Blackberry liion battery completely gave up overnight it had seemed to work fine suddenly a dead battery.

I have nothing to gain from arguing with you I have stated my case that is all. You clearly have an axe to grind.

Seaangler you clearly have a vested interest in promiting them I have no vested interest in speaking the truth of my experience both with Makita and hilti li ion power tools.

Oddly today my Blackberry liion battery completely gave up overnight it had seemed to work fine suddenly a dead battery.

I have nothing to gain from arguing with you I have stated my case that is all. You clearly have an axe to grind.

no axe to grind at all - but you made a very sweeping statement that seemed somewhat un-informed . I have no vested intrest as far as this forum goes - i do sell both bosch and makita and granted there have been problems wth the makita li-ion batteries , which now seem to be sorted . Certainly i now get no complaints about them now

Where are the professionals like me with a good testimony about li-ion?

I upgraded from the Hilti te6a which I used faithfully with a pair of batteries for 4 years to a te7a with a pair of li-ion batteries.

My friend bought the 6a from me. We sometimes work on jobs together now 6 months down the line his 6a with original batteries has more strength and stamina than my 7a with Hilti li-ion batteries only 6 months old.

I make no spweaping statements I speak from experience.

Let the one with the same experience in the other direction now speak.

Where are the professionals like me with a good testimony about li-ion?

I upgraded from the Hilti te6a which I used faithfully with a pair of batteries for 4 years to a te7a with a pair of li-ion batteries.

My friend bought the 6a from me. We sometimes work on jobs together now 6 months down the line his 6a with original batteries has more strength and stamina than my 7a with Hilti li-ion batteries only 6 months old.

I make no spweaping statements I speak from experience.

Let the one with the same experience in the other direction now speak.

you speak with experience of hilti and makita - only 2 brands out of lots .
As i said before makita did seem to have probs with their batteries but seem to have overcome them now . Bosch have never seemed to have problems .Note though that bosch have only done 10.8 and 36v , the 14.4 and 18v are only on their way now - quite some time after everyone else - has there been a problem with mid range voltage high ah batteries that bosch have been working to get over ???
The only other lithium batteries i have dealings with are durofix - again only 10.8v and again NO problems at all

I have several lxt li-ion tools the 115mm grinder the reprociating saw the bhp 541 drill and the impact driver with 3 batteries. Im on my 2nd drill body but ive been using the tools on a daily basis for over 18mths with no problems. Oki the grinder and the repricrating saw does muller the batteries but you try to run that sort of stuff on nimh not gonna happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back