Why aren't we happier?

I

imamartian

you only have to walk down your local high street, and you'll pass someone in a wheelchair without any legs, or perhaps a downs syndrome child, or a blind person with a dog.... and drive through most cities, and you'll probably pass houses lived in by people who are proper skint... or with family members in jail, or on drugs (and i'm not on about the crims themselves)
or even people people who live in alleyways or subways....

and i haven't even started on the horrors of living in a war torn country,
or one ravaged by starvation..... or one with a dictator in charge etc etc

shouldn't we all be a bit more happy with our lot?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
maybe its because of my post, the only way is up :)
I reckon you're making reference to The Toon billyo? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ah! that's it! Football! Most of the times I watch The Toon it certainly makes me miserable. :( But at least we've got Barton back... that should prove errrrm, 'entertaining' this season! :confused:

human nature.

we are better off than weve ever been yet still people moan.

we were the best off' family down our street but i only had two holidays as a kid. +two school journey's

we had the first inside loo and proper bath, we also always had a car.
the bloke up the road was posher than us cos he had a phone.

i wont let my kids have all they want because im concerned about their values. they still have a laptop each, ipods, sooper dooper phones.

they will go to uni and never work using their backs,
they havent had paper rounds :( :(

i remember under thatcher that nobody knew if they had a job the next day and there was genuine fear for the future. i can remember the delight all round when she got booted out.
i can remenber john selwyn gummer feeding his daughter beefbuger on the tele when he had said there was no BSE(mad cow)

how can it be that these things are forgotten?

we have a moan about blair or brown because we might have to buy a japanese car instead of the german one we really wanted.

our mrs scrubs up at 40! yet when we were young, most women were well shot by 40 (think of your mates mums)

i washed my hair in the shower after playing ten pin bowling with the shampoo's and conditioners..... i mean ten pin because there were so many to choose from.. i washed myself in 'brunette expressions' :oops:
my nan used to scrub me with 'wrights coal tar' soap with the flannel over my eyes because it stung. this was in the tin bath; hair rinsed with the same water my sister and little brother had already been in. it was grey with soap by then.

i love football but get a bit sick of the amount thats on (too much) and i get peeved when ive seen all the sky films that month. poor me! match of the day and the big match on sunday....when i would be out on my bike.

no morning or afternoon tele bbc1 or itv.... we got bbc2 early and no-one at school knew what it was.
we watched the eurovision song contest to see if england might actually win.

we dreamed of our dad having a car with a stick on numberplate on the bonnet (mk one consul)
we told our friends when we'd seen an aston martin or rolls royce... they never believed it until you told them how many exhaust pipes the aston had.
we walked to school and run home with our hands over our bums when we needed a poo

my mate got a radiogram with bass and treble but ours only had a tone button.
i got a cassette recorder when i was 14 so i could. tape the top twenty on sunday night and hope that the dj wouldnt speak over the song...which they always did :evil:

i wore shorts till i was 11 and when you fell off your bike or from a tree you didnt think to cry. you worried more that you had made your clothes dirty than about any blood. blood was cleaned with a snot rag if you had one, with a bit of spit so the cut or graze didnt look so bad when you saw your mum.

i would never have nicked anything for fear of the law and upsetting my dad. i would fear a crucifixtion if a policeman had even spoken to my mum but i never actually got a smack from my dad that i can remember.
kids have no fear now and very little respect.

central heating! what was that!
internet shopping, bmw's, fitness equipment unscratched records, ipods, screwfix, uk gold, saucy looking yummy mummies.....
we never had any of that !

we go to our fridge 'with freezer' and get out our dirt cheap lager and maybee eat some ben and jerries ice cream.

we sit on leather settees from dfs and have cream carpets rather than practical patterns..
we have clothes with labels to show everyone how much they cost or to identify ourselves to a group to which we aspire.. M&S wont do nowdays.

most modern problems are because we have become soft ponces. we allow thing like unecsasary health and saftey and dont have personal responsibilty.
we put money before people.

we should be happier and should realise what we have, but without remembering what it was like, we will never enjoy what we do have and will always want more...

and moan when we dont get it!

women and childbirth.... it was always the worst birth ever, so painful and they wish that you could have a tenth of the pain simply because you're man!
two years later they want another baby and they get all gooey about baby clothes...
same thing!
they forget

i will be thinking about this all day now :cry: :oops:

bring back kickstarts on motorbikes i say!

i remember under thatcher that nobody knew if they had a job the next day and there was genuine fear for the future. i can remember the delight all round when she got booted out.
Older Americans say they can always remember what they were doing when they heard President Kennedy had been shot.

All older British people can remember what they were doing when they heard the Thatcher had resigned

Smiling.

All older British people can remember what they were doing when they heard the Thatcher had resigned

I doubt it.

But I can remember What I was doing when Diana died.

i hated thatcher with a passion. stupid ignorant old biddy whos only percieved quality was that she wasnt for turning! :rolleyes:
she was an old hag that lined the pockets of her cronies. she made massive mistakes. some were defintley criminal and im sure could be proved now..
all that said, she was a sincere politician, wrong, but sincere. that is so rare in itself..
im sure people remember that image of her crying in the car leaving downing street.

she is the classic example of what is called social memory..
she was awful and any good she did was far outweighed by bad but now people look back on her with rose tinted specs.

a few new people were invited to the party (yuppies) (council house buyers) (british gas share holders) but on the whole, she was like robin hood... take from someone and give to someone else!
not rich or poor but take from someone who couldnt do anything about it and give to someone who would vote for her... these are facts not opinion.
how is it that we, as a country, dont remember?

the new statesman (alan b'stard) could not have been created nowdays but we all laughed at how close he was to reality...

diana
so kin gorgeous in that black dress, not long before she was killed..

i hated thatcher with a passion. stupid ignorant old biddy whos only percieved quality was that she wasnt for turning! :rolleyes:
she was an old hag that lined the pockets of her cronies. she made massive mistakes. some were defintley criminal and im sure could be proved now..
all that said, she was a sincere politician, wrong, but sincere. that is so rare in itself..
im sure people remember that image of her crying in the car leaving downing street.

she is the classic example of what is called social memory..
she was awful and any good she did was far outweighed by bad but now people look back on her with rose tinted specs.

a few new people were invited to the party (yuppies) (council house buyers) (british gas share holders) but on the whole, she was like robin hood... take from someone and give to someone else!
not rich or poor but take from someone who couldnt do anything about it and give to someone who would vote for her... these are facts not opinion.
how is it that we, as a country, dont remember?

the new statesman (alan b'stard) could not have been created nowdays but we all laughed at how close he was to reality...

diana
so kin gorgeous in that black dress, not long before she was killed..

i also hate thatcher with a vengance for what she did to this good country of ours

i personaly wouldnt want to see anybody dead although i could happily make exceptions for mary whitehouse and thatcher :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thatcher modernised this nation by beating the unions. No Thatcher and you'd still have Old Labour.

Thatcher freed up the financial markets and made you all wealthy. (with the help of Nth Sea oil).

You've just got short memories.

I think history will show Thatcher as being one of the great Prime Ministers and Blair as one of the weakest ones.

Sponsored Links
Back