Why can't I get my wood brilliant white!

C

Chris!

I have recently painted a door frame and the process was:
Strip the old paint off down to the wood
Prime
2 coats of Dulux Trade Quick Drying Wood Primer Undercoat in white
1 coat of Dulux Trade Satinwood in pure brilliant white

It been a week now and the colour of the wood now looks slighty yellowy off-white :mad:

Are my processes wrong or am I buying the wrong paint :rolleyes:

Many thanks in advance :LOL:

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo chris

the only thing i can suggest bad paint or contamination[from the stripping]

or perhaps not allowing to dry between coats properly :?: :?: :?:

others i am sure will come back with more usefull suggestions :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

just a suggestion, next time you paint something, paint a spare bit of timber too, see if it changes colour, also you can touch the spare bit to see if it is all dry, rathe than big fingerprints in the paint to find out is it, oh dear its still wet

Big-all - thanks for the suggestions!

What is contamination and how can this occur from stripping? I used a hot-air gun to strip off the old paint.

I then lightly sanded the wood and wiped away the dust with mild soapy water. I let dry and applied (white) primer.

Next day I applied two coats of (white) Dulux quick drying (waterbased) undercoat/primer. It was several days before I appled one coat of Dulux Satinwood finish (brilliant white).

It's hard work but have tried to do everything by the book so as to obtain as clean and professional finish as possible :cry: I thought that maybe it needs another top coat but as I don't like heavy looking paintwork I thought I should seek further advice first :idea:

Sponsored Links
not shure perhaps the soap

i take it there is no nookes and cranies in you arcatrave
[you didnt need to use steel wool to clean the wood]

contamination is any thing that shouldnt be there
grease from fingers dried soap residue oil ect

i dont know if the relivant residue from soap
would cause the problem may depend on amount used
i just use water[bearley damp cloth]

big all

try painting an off cut off wood at the same time
to compare the the finnish

big-all said:
try painting an off cut off wood at the same time
to compare the the finnish

nah nah, nah nah, i said that 31 minutes before you ;)

I mixed a very mild solution of fairy liquid and a sponge - I didn't use a wire wool. I do have some other frames to paint so will refrain from using any soap at all and see if there's any difference.

I should mention that the house was built with dark grey MDF for the outer part of the door frame - this may be normal, I don't know! I didn't mention it before because the softwood part has the same finish so eliminated this as a possible cause :confused:

when you say outer part of the door frame do you mean
the bit that overlaps the wall[arcatrave its called]

wondering if the the glue in the mdf could be reacting with
the heat and causing the problem :?: :?:

or is it all the wood that discolours :?: :?:

Yes, sorry - the arcatrave. Gosh you really can learn something new everyday!

The arcatrave and (soft) wood all have the same finish i.e. the wood part is not whiter than the arcatrave, unfortnately. Otherwise this might give me a clue to the problem.

Based on what I have told you, would you expect a superb finish? I can't help thinking that if I had paid a professional, I would have brilliant clean white, lightly painted woodwork :( ; like newly fitted frames.

I don't mind the hard work if it avoids woodwork looking like it has excessive layers of paint build up over many years!

they tell me its a rub down with fine sandpaper between coats
and you finnish up with a smooth finnish

[i dont paint if i can help it]

another though have you added or mixed any thing in the paint :?:

big all

No - nothing added or mixed!

Just gave it a good stir before applying with brush. Incidentally, the undercoat appears whiter than the finish :confused: I painted some more frames the weekend but have not yet applied the top coat as it still needs another coat of undercoat. This has dried beautifully white compared to the finished frame, which really stands out now!

Could there be something wrong with the satinwood finish - only bought it last month?

well thats the idea you paint a scrap of wood exactly the same
as you paint your doors

paint 100% with primer 75% with undercoat 50% top coat
25% with second top coat
so each stage is exposed to see which is responsible
and the back of the wood is unpaited for reference

now im not genned up on paint tecnolagy [or spelling]
i am just trying to find the answer by elimination

big all

Phoned Dulux this morning. Paint was a new batch processed in July 2004. They have not received any other queries but suggested there may be problem and I should send a sample of card with two coats of the finish. :cry:

I was also told that solvent based paints produce a more yellow finish due to the oil in the mix and that water based paints give a much whiter finish. They suggested their 'Real Life' product; this is a water based finish which is 10x tougher - I'm not sure about this and am concern this will just increase decorating costs further! :confused:

I have seen lovely white finishes in various homes over the years and I don't suppose any of these were water based! :rolleyes:

What do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back