Why do governments want the olympics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was watching something about the Greek economy being banjaxed before, and they mentioned that they are still paying the interest on the 12 billion euros it cost them in 2004.
They showed the deserted and going to seed stadiums they had built which have almost never been used since.
None of this is any surprise, it's happened to numerous countries who have hosted the olympics, so why do governments want to saddle their countries with them?
Is it all about some sort of reflected glory for the politicians?

Sponsored Links
because of the system we have, politicians have a short time to make an impact, and a long time for others to sort out the mess they made....

Wars, strikes, privatising, budgets.... in most cases, the governments are gone before the consequences hit !!!

Plus, if managed properly, something like the Olympics could rake in a few quid !!! but will it, is it being managed properly?

As soon as Tom Daly dive's in that olympic pool he might end up face to face with cameron and clegg in the deep end !!

We borrow more than the cost of the Olympics month in and month out to pay benefits. That's why we need a load of immigrants to come in and join us. We go bust even quicker and get this mess sorted.

Sponsored Links
because of the system we have, politicians have a short time to make an impact, and a long time for others to sort out the mess they made....

Wars, strikes, privatising, budgets.... in most cases, the governments are gone before the consequences hit !!!

Yeah, that was the point I was leading up to. Democracy is just a short term popularity contest, and unscrupulous politicians don't care what they sign us all up to if it reflects well on them in the "now". With the short attention span gerbils we raise in this country these days we can probably expect Simon forkin Cowell to be the next prime minister.

Yeah, that was the point I was leading up to. Democracy is just a short term popularity contest, and unscrupulous politicians don't care what they sign us all up to if it reflects well on them in the "now". With the short attention span gerbils we raise in this country these days we can probably expect Simon forkin Cowell to be the next prime minister.

NOW THERE'S ONE FOR THE FAMILY ALBUM !!! ;) SOOEY AGREEING WITH ME !! :p

. With the short attention span gerbils we raise in this country these days we can probably expect Simon forkin Cowell to be the next prime minister.

Ahh we could have an X Factor style competition to decide who's going to be the chancellor (but only for a year) Televised with the ever present expensive phone in voting system. I can just see Louis Walsh saying " I loiked this act, and he gets moy vote."
Camera then pans to Cheryl Cole " Wey hey man , ahh liked the clothes he's weeerin man. Looks like hees been doon that M&S shopliftin, but ahh jist divent know if he could mek it. Ahh think he'd raise taxes n'all."
Cue, Simon " Well, this young man has the makings of a star. I like him. We've already done a backstage deal to save me billions."
And the audience cheer wildly... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

NOW THERE'S ONE FOR THE FAMILY ALBUM !!! SOOEY AGREEING WITH ME !!

Sh*t happens

I was watching something about the Greek economy being banjaxed before, and they mentioned that they are still paying the interest on the 12 billion euros it cost them in 2004.
They showed the deserted and going to seed stadiums they had built which have almost never been used since.
None of this is any surprise, it's happened to numerous countries who have hosted the olympics, so why do governments want to saddle their countries with them?
Is it all about some sort of reflected glory for the politicians?

Looks good on the CV, pals get a great big gravy train to ride.

and by the time the real impact hits, those at the top levels will be living abroad anyway, it will be some other mug who has to deal with it,

The Olympics has been a busted flush for many years now.

Athletes are no longer amateurs they are all professionals so let their governing bodies pay for the games not me you and everyone else.

If we have to balance the books of the Olympics then how can it work.
The new buildings and the security costs must outweigh the income from the tickets.
The local economy will benefit - guest houses -restaraunts - clothes shops etc but will that money make it back into the economy or simply pay struggling companies debts?

It's time to pack it all in now really.
You don't even see sport on normal TV anymore so who even has an interest in any of the competitors anymore?

Can any non Sky viewing member even name 10 athletes and their sports who will be in these forthcoming games?

?
Like the Olympic Stadium in Elis :idea:

Sponsored Links
Back