Why do I smell GAS ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and girls

I have a Rangemaster cooker which runs off bottled Calor Gas.
When ever the gas is about to run out, we get a significant smell of gas in the kitchen. The cooker is NOT alight when this happens. We usually come home to find it or get up in the morning to find it. It seems to build up over a short period of time when the cooker is not in use but the gas is about to run out,
When this happens the bottles are usually empty within minues of use of the cooker.
At ALL other times there is NO gas smell at all.
As soon as we hook up new bottles the smell goes.

Can anybody please shed any light on why this is happening?

Sponsored Links
as a guess improper combustion due to lack off /fluctuating pressure letting a small amount gas smell linger in the air

as a guess improper combustion due to lack off /fluctuating pressure letting a small amount gas smell linger in the air

Thanks for your reply 'big-all' but the gas smell comes when the cooker is not on, but as I said it disappears as soon as we connect a new gas bottle.

I was wondering, could it be something to do with the bayonet connection.

Having said this, maybe it's left over from the last time the cooker was used (but I don't think so because it is rarely used in the mornings but we often come home to the smell at the end of the day.

I'm so confused as I have checked all gas connections for leaks and as I say it NEVER smells when there is plenty of gas in the cylinders.

???

yes i think they rely on the pressure off the gas to to keep it sealed tight so as the pressure reaches zero the last bit off gas escapes
this is purley a guess though :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Strange one but bigal could be right as in the pressure is keepimg something judt in the right place to stop leak showing, unusual one though.

Can only say try and catch it at right moment

time for a new regulator then?
the seal may be worn so that it requires the bottle pressure to hold it tight against the bayonet bit..
when the pressure is almost nothing, gravity takes over and the thing leaks..?

This is actually quite a common thing to happen when the bottles are nearly empty, nothing to do with the cooker, All I can put it down to is that the added smell to the gas is more concentrated when it reaches the bottom of the bottle so lingers more after use

Bit old this topic but -

A few months ago we had the smell of gas in our kitchen - the smell kept coming and going, checked the boiler and the cooker and bought some natural gas detectors. Two different models in fact.

Even friends commented on it.

Anyway after about 2-3 weeks of this occuring the fridge freezer stopped chilling/freezing, it didnt happen quickly over a few days it got warmer and warmer. This was the cause of the gassy smell.

New fridge freezer no smell. There mus have been a small leak in the pipe system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back