Why does my property have this earth cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in a property that currently has a really ugly earth cable (proper thick one) that comes out from my kitchen through a big hole in the brick wall. I want to know it's purpose and why it has been ran in this way as I see no other houses like this and was wondering if I can re-route it or do away with it. The kitchen is badly done so think it could have been when this was fitted.

The cable comes out of the kitchen wall then runs on the outside wall of the front of the house up the wall and then accross the top of the front door and into the out cupboard. It then terminates inside the cupboard on the gas main piping. (sorry if I use wrong terminology - I am a very basic DIYer with electrics). I can see another earth lead that terminates in this same place next to it which I know to be the earth cable that links up to the main RCD/fuse box in the house (the other side of the outcupboard on the inside cupboard).

Anyway, the other end of this ugly cable where it "starts" is at the back of the kitchen unit attached to the main water pipe feed into the kitchen just above the stop cock.

My question is, why do I have an earth cable linking the mains water piping stop cock area, to the gas mains pipe and do I need it? If so, why was it routed in such an ugly way along an outside wall and can I move it to somewhere else?

Thanks all. my first post so go easy on me as they say.

Ta

Sponsored Links
Ok, regulations require that all main incoming services must be earthed at the main earthing terminal ( fuse box)

I.e oil, gas, water.

So you should have a earth wire running from the water main to the fusebox, then a separate wire running from the gas, and or oil to the fuse box.

My question is, why do I have an earth cable linking the mains water piping stop cock area, to the gas mains pipe and do I need it?
it is one of the 'Main Protective Bonding Conductors' which are to connect the incoming services (water,gas etc.) because they may be earthed (by the planet) at a different potential (voltage) than the installation earth.

Yes, you do need them but it could be replaced by a very pretty green and yellow wire.

If so, why was it routed in such an ugly way along an outside wall and can I move it to somewhere else?
Some people don't care.

You can reroute it as long as the ends are in the same place (assuming they are correct).
Although, if you do not know the correct size to use you should ask an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Ok, regulations require that all main incoming services must be earthed at the main earthing terminal ( fuse box)

I.e oil, gas, water.

So you should have a earth wire running from the water main to the fusebox, then a separate wire running from the gas, and or oil to the fuse box.

Thanks. I live in an eastate where the houses are all similar terraced/block houses, and I have never in my life seen one with a great big chunky earth cable running along an outside wall, let alone the main front outside wall. Is this because none of them are earthed properly? Unlikely surely? Or have they routed the cable some other way?

I did see actually, about 2 feet to the side of the back of the kitchen unit there is another earth cable just coming out of the wall internally but it is just hanging like it was previusly used. i.e. Has been cut. This particular cable just comes out from the plaster in the wall a few inches and then has been cut. I cannot see where it goes to. Is it possible this went to the fusebox previously but was too thin and a new thicker one used due to regs or something?

Do most water main earths go to the fusebox under the floor?

Yes, you do need them but it could be replaced by a very pretty green and yellow wire.

It already is a very thick yellow and green wire. :)

I just want it moved but can't think of any easy way other than along internal walls and over the front door inside trunking then into the "in"cupboard and then out into the outcupboard. Argh. long. I just wonder how other houses have had it done. Never seen any sign of earth cables in all the other houses on the estate.

Yours was probably retro fitted, as not to upset the interior decor.

Is it possible other houses use black wires to not look so obvious? Does it legally have to be a) yellow and green, b) a certain thickness?
Currently this cable is 6mm total thickness.
thanks for your swift replies. :)

They are normally run/fitted internally.

I don't know when the regulation came out when it was required.

They were required I beleive from 1966, and the size was increased to 10mm² in 1992. Yes it is required to be green and yellow cable.

So I'm guessing if built before 1966 and hasn't had any electrical work done, it probaly won't have any main bonding.

To be honest despite it being required, it's unusual to find any bonding on a job older than about the late 80s.

What is bonding?

EDIT: I mean as opposed to what I am describing as above with the earth cable already installed?
The property already has what I believe to be "bonding" if this is simply things being earthed. The bathroom stuff is earthed down to the fusebox via trunking using yellow and green earth cable. The airing cupboard has earth cables in it as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back