Main earth cable Coming into House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a new house and it is in need in refurnishment as it been wrecked. My Question is there is I have a earth cable in the gas meter outside but it is not attached to a copper pipe and there is one where the main water pipe work is in kitchen but it is not attached to anything. My question is as from past house's that these get attached to the main water pipe.

Is this correct ? If so the main water pipe coming in is plastic so this will not earth. Where would it attach to ?

Sponsored Links
You might want to start by examining what type of distributor earthing system you have, a TNS or TN - C-S or maybe you have a TT system.

You must have one of these.

Your gas and water should have the appropriate earth connections made a maximum of 600mm from entering the house on the consumer side. From here the cable(s) will go back to the consumer unit or preferably the main earthing terminal next to the consumer unit.

If you have plastic piping for your water throughout the house then there is no need to have an earth connection to your water pipes - but that is unlikely.

Try this link

http://www.aboutelectricity.co.uk/articles.php?article_id=16

Thanks for speedy reply. I can understand the gas main being earthed is fine. just trying to figure out why there is a earth cable coming into the house by the main water pipe if there was no need as the water pipe is plastic.

Also I have been working on the sockets and the RCD has been tripping on the consumer unit. How is this if the earth was not connected to the gas main ?

Thanks for speedy reply. I can understand the gas main being earthed is fine. just trying to figure out why there is a earth cable coming into the house by the main water pipe if there was no need as the water pipe is plastic.
The purpose of bonding you metal water pipes is to protect you inside the house - the only time it is not needed is if all your internal water pipes are plastic.
Also I have been working on the sockets and the RCG has been tripping on the consumer unit. How is this if the earth was not connected to the gas main ?
I take it you mean RCD.
It sounds like you have only a limited knowledge of how domestic electrical systems are set up - I would suggest that you need to get an electrician in to check out your electrical system as soon as possible.

Sponsored Links
I was ment to type RCD. I cant understand that you do not have to bond the pipes if they are all plastic. All the water pipes in house are plastic apart from the feds coming off the boilor and then they have only used a meter then gone to plastic. Could this b what the earth was for ?

just trying to figure out why there is a earth cable coming into the house by the main water pipe if there was no need as the water pipe is plastic.
Maybe it wasn't always plastic?

Maybe the cable is an old TT earth cable rather than a main bonding one?

Also I have been working on the sockets and the RCD has been tripping on the consumer unit. How is this if the earth was not connected to the gas main ?
Because your installation should not be, and is not, earthed via the gas pipe.

The connection to the gas pipe is not an earth, it is a main bonding conductor.

riveralt is right, you need to get an electrician to take a look - you don't really know enough.

I am not trying to get information to do it myself just understtand so when a electrician comes out f you look like you know a bit you dont normally get riped off

Unless you really do know the subject, it will be obvious to anyone who does. A good electrician will be fair and honest. A rip-off merchant will fool you whatever you think you know. Try friends, neighbours for a recommendation. Most electricians are trying to earn an honest bob and will give advice as to where you can and cannot save money.
Apart from actually doing work, you might like to follow your quest out of interest - the subject is fascinating and not as simple as it appears that it should be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back