Why has DIYNOT got a electrics forum?

securespark said:
Tell that to the families of electrocution victims.

Remember the high profile story of an MP's daughter (?) who was killed because of a poor install?

She was electrocuted when simultaneously touching a live shelf and a dishwasher (I believe).

The shelf was live because a screw had pierced the (meandering) cable feeding a socket below.

Now, the install may well have been safe otherwise, but because of that wandering cable, someone died.

My point is you don't have to make glaringly dangerous eff-ups (like using undersized cables, or chopping out the cpc) to make a potentially dangerous install.

Melodramatic Jim is not.

You don't frighten me either with posts like that. It is no different for the unfortunate relatives of someone who was rundown by a car driven by an incompetant. Melodrama, it is.

Educate people, give them some knowledge and confidence. Don't just try to frighten them off. Getting a Part P qualification is not a guarantee of a safe installation, it just means someone else doesn't check the work.

Sponsored Links
well, i was going to add to this a fuel the argument longer but ill leave it and just say what a mess this forum really is at the moment.

Breezer - This is not just about me! Look at what I'm saying, or dont. I could'nt give a flying Frenchman (dont even go there).

Blue Ice - I agree and accept what yopur saying. However if you feel that way, then dont post anything. Rather than making sniding or non-helpful comments.

Secure - Your presuming that all qualified electricians work as well as you!

JohnD - But its OK, for some to sit around sniping all day. I dont need then to appreciate my point of view. They just need to look at themselves and if theor comments are actually helpful.

Bazdaa

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

oilman said:
securespark said:

Remember the high profile story of an MP's daughter (?) who was killed because of a poor install?

She was electrocuted when simultaneously touching a live shelf and a dishwasher (I believe).

The shelf was live because a screw had pierced the (meandering) cable feeding a socket below.

Now, the install may well have been safe otherwise, but because of that wandering cable, someone died.

My point is you don't have to make glaringly dangerous eff-ups (like using undersized cables, or chopping out the cpc) to make a potentially dangerous install.

Melodramatic Jim is not.

You don't frighten me either with posts like that. It is no different for the unfortunate relatives of someone who was rundown by a car driven by an incompetant. Melodrama, it is.

Educate people, give them some knowledge and confidence. Don't just try to frighten them off. Getting a Part P qualification is not a guarantee of a safe installation, it just means someone else doesn't check the work.

Just to point out that Part P is a regulation and means that your work needs to be signed off by a qualified sparky. Its now a regulation!

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37590&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Bazdaa

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

supersparks said:
well, i was going to add to this a fuel the argument longer but ill leave it and just say what a mess this forum really is at the moment.

Personally I think its one of the best around.

Bazdaa

Bazdaa I will not ask you again, Please read / abide forum rule 10a. Thank you

supersparks said:
well, i was going to add to this a fuel the argument longer..............

Then do. That's what a discussion forum is for surely. There's not much point in having a mutual adulation society.

.................but ill leave it and just say what a mess this forum really is at the moment.

And why is it a mess?

Sponsored Links
Bazdaa said:
Just to point out that Part P is a regulation and means that your work needs to be signed off by a qualified sparky. Its now a regulation!

Bazdaa

OK loose terminology, but it's colloquially called a Part P qualification. What it means is that for DIY installations you're required to have it inspected, if you have one of these Part P qualifications, you sign it off yourself. No one checks it.

oilman said:
Bazdaa said:

Bazdaa

OK loose terminology, but it's colloquially called a Part P qualification. What it means is that for DIY installations you're required to have it inspected, if you have one of these Part P qualifications, you sign it off yourself. No one checks it.

LOL, still not right (tell me if I'm wrong). To sign of your work, you need to be a member of one of the regulation bodies. Part P just makes you competent.

Now a comment like that would have got you some serious grief. But its a simple mistake by us simple DIY folk.

Bazdaa

As I understand it, passing Part P assessment gives you the certificate, you then have to work for a business registered under one of the government approved schemes.

All this started off when Pilkingtons wanted to control the replacement window business, and British Gas wanted to control all the central heating repair business (those toadies also tried to patent the word "Powerflush"). It's a case of snouts in the trough. People now die at the hands of "professionals" instead of by their own efforts. ;)

Part P qualification is rubbish...I know a numpty kitchen fitter with a Part P qual simply cos he coffed up £895 for a money making course...

He is Part P registered now..I have seen his work, he is a mate..but I would not let him wire a blessed plug...

Now take me, simply because I will not speak about someone who is not hear to fight their corner personally. I qualified as an Electrician in 1986, I then continued my professional education to gain the C certificate, I then continued to successfully complete a HNC in Electrical Engineering.

Whilst doing my studies I worked..and I don't mean as a Pizza delivery man either!

I have only ever worked in the Electrical Industry (Except as a TA Para-Engineer...). I have worked on Oil platforms, Ships, Mariners, MoD sites, including Aldermaston and Northumberland Ave. I have worked as a Consultant Project Engineer, been a Company Director of a successful contractor...bla bla bla...

Now I am back to being a self-employed sparky, although I have been approached by a very large International Engineering Company with a view to working on a Chemical Plant construction project in India...

I have 236 Part 1, 2 and C, HNC Elec Eng, 232 Supp Electronics, 2380 (16th Ed update[Old course])....

Yet they still want me to pay a total of about £2500 to allow me to do what I have done many times before...

Feck the Government, they can stick their illegal tax up their derry air, I will stick to Industrial and heavy Commercial work, where the real money is anyway, and the death rate will increase as all part P has done is open the door to cowboys and dodgy DIY, not closed it as they claim...

I say good luck to anyone doing DIY electrics...I simply hope you have good life insurance on you, your partner and your kids...you may just need it..especially if you employ a Part P kitchen Fitter, Plumber, door to door Gypo or whatever....

Bazdaa said:
JohnD - But its OK, for some to sit around sniping all day. I dont need then to appreciate my point of view. They just need to look at themselves and if theor comments are actually helpful.

Bazdaa

You surely didn't think i meant you?

JohnD said:
Bazdaa said:

Bazdaa

You surely didn't think i meant you?

I did actually, apologies.

Locked topics, deleted threads, whats going on tonight?

Bazdaa

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

supersparks said:

Personally I think its one of the best around.

Bazdaa

Message to the Moderator.
I'm sure what your having a go at me about. As I have done what you said. You pointed me to 10a (10a) To edit your own post / wish to add something, please do not post again, but press the button, you can then add / edit your post.
) and that is what I have done!

Bazdaa

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message understood.

Ahh good the threads unlocked again. I would like to say a big thank you to the mod for locking this thread. While he or she cleared up all mistakes. Which also meant that no one could contribute to it!

Bazdaa

securespark said:

Melodramatic Jim is not.

But the cable was installed by a so called professional builder??? See this the DIY'ers error here was putting up a metal utensils rack and piercing a poorly installed and non protected cable.

All Tragic stuff and plenty of horror stories, but nothing like as many as you get on the roads on an average Monday. if your worried about safety thats where you will get hurt not by domestic electricity. Put road traffic against any other risk and it is no contest

That link to BG is just them grinding there own axe by trying to scare people into using their services at silly prices no doubt

Part P and any other rules and regulations will never stop DIYers, or cowboys. If the government, or the electrical industry really cared about electrical safety in this country they would do 2 things

reduce the voltage to 115 volts

change the cycle rate from 50/60hz to a rate that isn't guaranteed to stop the human heart most efficiently. the americans use this cycle to execute people because it is the most dangerous

Comments from any Sparks in here.......................

I'm losing the plot here.

Is this topic about why DIYnot has an electrical forum, or the advisability of DIY electrical work, or what the government should do to improve electrical safety (if, indeed, it either needs to be, or can realistically be, improved)?

All three. They all seem to have safety as the basic issue. I will post as a seperate thread here or in electrics if it helps

Sponsored Links
Back