Why is my lighting circuit at 20V?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started to learn to use a 2-prong voltmeter. I've been testing the lighting pendants I have around the house, and one is at 20V, whereas the others are at 240V.

Is this usual / is there a reason this is happening?

Sponsored Links
@flameport, thanks. The light circuit is on though, and the lamp works - could this be Capacitive Coupling? Why am i not reading 240V (other than possibly using the voltmeter wrong!)?

Sponsored Links
I have just started to learn to use a 2-prong voltmeter. I've been testing the lighting pendants I have around the house, and one is at 20V, whereas the others are at 240V.

Is this usual / is there a reason this is happening?

20V with respect to what? Which two points are you measuring between?

Alias51, please for your own safety seek professional advice. You have another active thread where you ask if your 240v light fitting needs a transformer to be powered from 240v mains. Now you're going around your house pointlessly probing mains terminals with your (probably very cheap) multimeter, probably up a metal ladder. This advice is for your own safety. If you're going to learn to use a volt meter please do so on batteries or your car where you're not going to end up dead if you slip/trip.

If your testing between live and Earth, you may have a bad earth. Assuming live and netural is fine of course.

I wonder how you are measuring with my lights to get a meter probes into the bulb holder without the risk of slipping and causing a short circuit would be hard. Even with a GS38 lead set.

Most cheap meters are not supplied with leads suitable for use with 230 volt. The meter maybe OK but the leads are not, GS38 leads can cost more than the meter.

You may be reading between earth and a live and the earth could be missing, you could have a 12 volt lamp and the meter does not like the high frequency so giving wrong reading. But sticking probes in holes without knowing what you are doing can be very dangerous.

I wonder how you are measuring with my lights to get a meter probes into the bulb holder without the risk of slipping and causing a short circuit would be hard. Even with a GS38 lead set.
I've NEVER tried to stick my probes into a pendant lamp holder. Just test at the rose. Pretty sure that's what the OP is doing.

I've NEVER tried to stick my probes into a pendant lamp holder. Just test at the rose. Pretty sure that's what the OP is doing.
Possibly in which case he has 4 connectors to select from wonder which he used?

Don't you have a set of Lightmates?! The bayonet pins have fallen off of the BC one on mine, bloody expensive rubbish.
I did have one of these
mDt6d1N_rN_YkVl2MPohTfg.jpg
connected to a 13A socket with a croc clip on the earth so I could easy test with loop impedance tester but some one stole it and no Woolworths any more to get replacement.

Don't you have a set of Lightmates?! The bayonet pins have fallen off of the BC one on mine, bloody expensive rubbish.
No, because like you point out, they're bloody expensive rubbish! I have made one myself for Hager Click Roses with some 30A connector blocks and a spare end, but for BC and ES pendants, I just drop the cover. No big deal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back