why is the question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

This is more of curiosity for myself.

in our house, in the downstairs and upstairs hallway, we have/had these very old fluorescent tube lights, always hated them. Other than changing a simple light switch, I dont do any electrical work therefore I employed my trusted electrician who has always carried out work for us.

the job was to remove both lights and replace with bog standard ceiling rose pendant lights, which will have some rather nice lightweight shades on.

The work was carried out and all is well, here is the strange issue and the electrician struggled to explain this to me.

on the upstairs light, someone (prior to us living in the house, pre 1995) had put a link wire in from the earth to the neutral of the light fitting (the neutral was also connected here) Initially the electrician thought it was a fault that someone previously was too lazy to find, however he removed the link and wired up the new ceiling rose as per how its meant to be done and all worked as intended with no faults.

The downstairs light was wired correctly in the first instance, as per his comment.

my question is, why would, or in what circumstances would someone connect a bridging wire from the earth terminal on the ceiling rose to the neutral connection to the light fitting. so in essence, both neutral and earth were connected together.

the next job is to upgrade the CU with all RCBO board following testing, he did comment that if the circuit was RCD protected that it would have tripped long ago.

Sponsored Links
most light switches do not have a neutral connection - just live -
Recently neutrals have been taken to switches BUT are usually just all connected together and have nothing to so with switch, unless its a smart switch

the neutral colour in the wire - Black / blue is often sleeved in red/brown as its actually a live conductor

Perhaps some photos

are you just looking at the colours , the colours could be anything , its down to the electrician to use the correct colours etc

is this a 2 way switch - so the light is controlled by 2 switches - then you may have a yellow wire - not earth - earth is green & yellow

thank you

no photos as the work has been done. Not talking about the switch, talking about the actual wires in the ceiling.

The electrician shown me the connection prior to disconnecting, it was as follows.

Switched live (Red no sleeve) connected to live of fitting
Black (neutral) connected to neutral of fitting
Earth connected to earth terminal of fitting
additional cable with earth sleeving connected from earth of incoming wiring, to neutral terminal in fitting

1995 so nothing to do with smart switches, only thing I can think off, is there was a fault, and the two were bridged to get around the fault, but since then the fault has been corrected, so no longer any need for bridge wire.

It does however ring alarm bells, and one would need to be careful to test before fitting all RCBO consumer unit.

I had a fault in this house where two circuits went to one switch, and some one had in the past selected the wrong neutral, until all RCBO CU fitted this did not stop anything working, but until corrected the landing and hall lights were tripping the RCBO's. In my case it was quickly found and corrected, but old faults like that can be hard to find.

Sponsored Links
I think the sparkie has used the earth to make it two-way switching instead of three core and earth. Pretty sure we had that setup in our old house before it was retired but that was 30 odd years ago so I may be wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back