why no new 24v cordless?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

It seems manufactures have abandand the 24v battery, just wondered why?

Sponsored Links
Because most 18v lithium tools operate at around 20v with a nominal voltage of 18v. 24 isn't beneficial with 36v and 54v available under the same form factor. It was a plus of the nicd and nimh days but not so much in the days of lithium.

I think that if you had tried the current generation of 18 volt trade tools you'd already know the answer. For example, I have a Makita DHP242 18 volt SDS drill. This is smaller and lighter than the NiMH generation of 24 volt SDS drills, is used with 5Ah batteries which means 1 battery often does a whole day, the run time is extended by the use of a brushless motor, it is more powerful than the earlier 24 volt tools, but most important of all - it uses the same battery system as my oher cordless tools (all 15 or so of them, from a drill/driver to a buiscuit jointer). For super duty applications there are 36 volt and even 54 volt (DW) tools, but for many tradesmen those are hard o justify, so 18 volt Li-Ion has become the norm for me and many other tradesmen.

I think that if you had tried the current generation of 18 volt trade tools you'd already know the answer. For example, I have a Makita DHP242 18 volt SDS drill. This is smaller and lighter than the NiMH generation of 24 volt SDS drills, is used with 5Ah batteries which means 1 battery often does a whole day, the run time is extended by the use of a brushless motor, it is more powerful than the earlier 24 volt tools, but most important of all - it uses the same battery system as my oher cordless tools (all 15 or so of them, from a drill/driver to a buiscuit jointer). For super duty applications there are 36 volt and even 54 volt (DW) tools, but for many tradesmen those are hard o justify, so 18 volt Li-Ion has become the norm for me and many other tradesmen.

I've got a couple of 10.8v Makita Brushless tools and they even perform surprisingly well. Pee all over the old NiCd 12v tools. The TD111 is my favourite impact driver actually.

Sponsored Links
Like phones and computers, cordless tools have hit a performance ceiling at 18v, and anything more is not worth it for the majority of users.

But marketers need to sell tools, and that's why we are seeing a push in the areas of motor performance and battery capacity instead. And the stupid Bluetooth connectivity and tool performance settings from an app which are hitting the shops now

I've got a couple of 10.8v Makita Brushless tools and they even perform surprisingly well. Pee all over the old NiCd 12v tools. The TD111 is my favourite impact driver actually.

I have 3 dewalt 10.8v tools, the twin pack impact and drill driver and a slightly older hex screwdriver, looks identical to the impact but has the torque settings, for lightweight work all are ideal, I even use the impact to drive concrete screws in and out, unless I get one that's seized into the brick then the 18v doesn't get a look in, the screwdriver is perfect for hinges and locks, ok only 1.3ah batteries but for £99 for a twin pack was a steal, an impact, a drill/driver, 2 batteries and a charger......bargain!

The inside of a NiMH 24v battery has 20 cells that are 1.2v each, wired in series to give you 24v...

s-l500.jpg

Seeing as most manufacturers have now switched to lithium ion, you simply can't make a 24v battery with Li-ion, because each cell in a Lithium Thionyl Chloride battery is 3.6v. It just doesn't multiply up to 24v.

5 * 3.6 = 18.0v
6 * 3.6 = 21.6v
7 * 3.6 = 25.2v

So, you can see here, five cells in series to give 18v.

10.8v tools have 3 cells in series, that's why they're usually shaped like this...

80777_P

It's just 3 AA-sized-ish cells in a traingle.

Gaz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back