Why not wireless?

I didn't realise you were getting a seperate speech dialler, rather than the plug on digi modem.

This is therefore the interface which makes the RMUs work.

I think you are still going to be dissapointed when you find you dont have a keypad ;)

Sponsored Links
Yeah eyedee that is just a standalone speech dialler which looks like a keypad. You need a keypad for the panel as well. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It's certainly been a while since I started this thread, but for numerous reasons it took me longer to begin installation of my alarm system than I had hoped. But after taking floorboards up in every room on the 1st floor to pass wires, channeling many a wall to feedwire through conduit to magnetic door connectors, bell boxes and keypads I have completed the install and I'm very pleased. Floating PIR's on both floors without any pointing at a window, concealed door contacts, and absolutely no wires on display. It works a treat and I'm very happy so a big thankyou to all those that helped me in the early stages of the project. :)

You've just been lucky, Bob. They are a load of rubbish as anyone in the industry will tell you.

You've just been lucky, Bob. They are a load of rubbish as anyone in the industry will tell you.
You really do talk complete nonsense. You openly admit you ain't fitting kit yet make broad, sweeping statements about products you know little about.

Cheap nasty wireless gives cheapy nasty performance. Buy the right kit and all will be fine.

Yes, people have their preferences but scaremongering and playing to peoples fears achieves what exactly?

I was referring to the "Response Alarm SA5." In the post by 'salesman' Bob the builder who is using tacky 'reverse psychology' to get around the advertising rules.

If you say radio has come on a long way - I'll take your word on that in case I ever need it.

Hi there!!

I just wanted to add my two pence in!! lol

I was faced with the same decision as you last year. I wanted to be a bit more proactive about security, before I became a statistic!

To start with I changed the UPVC door locks to Yale anti-drill, anti-pick locks which cost less than £5 each from a local glazing firm (they cost about £25 in DIY shops) and they took less than 2 minutes to fit.

I also don't like the sight of wires, so a wired alarm would need to be professionally installed.

Basically no one would ever advise you to go wireless if you can afford to go wired. There are so many pitfalls to wireless alarms. False alarms, the signal can be jammed, batteries need replacing after a year etc.

But I just didn't want to spend hundreds of pounds for an alarm system. If someone wants to come in, they will no matter what security you have installed.

I just wanted to put off the opportunity thieves looking for an easy target (with no alarm box), at a minimal cost to me.

After doing lots of research I ended up spending about £25 for a brand new wireless alarm from ebay (about the price of a dummy box for a wired system).

I ended up with the Response Alarm SA5. It features an auto dialler so it calls me when the alarm goes off. The control panel is mains with battery backup which fits my requirements and it all has anti jamming technology which is supposed to sound a full alarm if any of the components can't talk to each other. It also features zoning with each sensor being on a different zone, great for fault finding in the future.

The other plus side is that everything comes as a kit inside a box, so it is all desgined to work together. And everything needed to fit it is included, including the batteries and wall plugs!! - Drill not included though!! lol

I installed the whole lot in about 2-3 hours and it looks good (no wires). I have never had any false alarms from it, so I can highly recommend the system as a cheap alternative to wired. But I would never pay retail price for it, which is almost daylight robbery itself at just under £300!!

Also, I didn't want to use the magnetic contacts that came with it, so I flogged them on ebay at £15 a piece and ended up making a profit!!

I know being wireless, it isn't the perfect solution. But for me, the right deal came along at the right time...

BULL !!

I was referring to the "Response Alarm SA5." In the post by 'salesman' Bob the builder who is using tacky 'reverse psychology' to get around the advertising rules.

If you say radio has come on a long way - I'll take your word on that in case I ever need it.
Actually, for once, i'll go along wih you on the above. Tend not to consider that stuff as viable so don't pay much notice to it. Funny what you see when you read it again.

I bought a cheap and nasty Yale Wireless Alarm kit for my last house, and it was great especially for the money.

As above I didn't really want an alarm for the alarm, it was more to make it so we weren't one of three houses on the road of 25 houses without an alarm box outside.

It worked flawlessly for the 2.5 years it was installed there (I took it with me when we moved to alarm my new houses garage) and I never needed to change any batteries.

It had all the anti jamming stuff - so it would go off if someone tried to jam it (not that it did ever go off when it wasn't supposed to)

It also had all the fancy features like it phoned me if it went off and I could listen in, you could even use it as a speaker phone instead of your main phone.

It came with 3 PIRs and 2 door sensors, and only cost about £70 on a special offer a local trade warehouse.

I would recommend it, feature wise it was better than our pro wired alarm which came with our new house, they both worked equally well. If I put another in it would be wireless

If you live near sheltered housing or a nursing home then don`t bother with wireless, theres a good chance you will both recieve and cause interference from the rf devices they use there, they use a lot of different frequency ranges for the different kit. scantronic based kit tends to cause a bit of grief in that respect.

Really? Wow thanks for clearing that up. For a while there I was wasting my time actually troubleshooting interference problems but the problems must just be imaginary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back