Why try and belittle people

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed something i dont like at all on this site. It,s some peoples attitude towards the questions there answering, if someone comes on and asks for advice then just give advice not a reply which tries to belittle people. I have asked for advice on 5 proplems and on 4 ive had smarta... replys, no help to me at all. To the lads who have gave me helpful answers then thanks.

Sponsored Links
Plumbers on here are noted for being curmudgeonly.

Give up plumbing and try something more pleasant.

If you don't like the forum - you know where the door is.

JohnD wrote: "Plumbers on here are noted for being curmudgeonly".

Are you a plumber, joe-90? That was a very uncharitable reply to the guys post.

Sponsored Links
People on this site give their information for free. The OP wouldn't expect that from his solicitor or accountant would he?

People on this site give their information for free. The OP wouldn't expect that from his solicitor or accountant would he?

Free or not the information should not be accompanied by derrogation of the OP or any other posters for that matter.

In public view solictors are polite when questioning the opinions of other solicitors and accountants are polite to the taxman. Perhaps out of public hearing these polite people have expressed derrogation of the others but onkly in private.

If I'm walking down the street, and someone asks me the way to the Post Office, I tell them. I don't poke fun at their acccent, their use of English, their inability to read street signs, or for not being professional postmen.

If I don't know, I say so.

I don't tell them that if they don't like the way I speak to them they can leave town.

I don't point out that solicitors and accountants charge for consultations.

If I join the local "Advice on how to get around town" society, I don't whine when people ask directions.

What right does someone on this forum have to abuse and criticise a person asking for advice or information?

None.

If it considered that the poster is being deliberately obtuse then they can expect short shrift from the trades people they are asking information of.

If I work on a building site then I don't expect to be treated like some kind of corporate guest. If I ask stupid questions then I can expect a reply in similar vein to what the poster is complaining about.

This forum is an extension of a building site.

If you don't like that then I suggest that you ban all trades people from the site. They are, after all, a common lot.

It's not a building site, it's a bunch of people who have got together for the express purpose of exchanging questions and advice.

We are all builders, sparkies, plumbers and joiners, John. Anyone else isn't capable of giving out the proper information. That means, whether you like it or not, this is a virtual building site and you have to accept that life on a building site is somewhat 'earthier' then you might expect in a shopping centre.

Some of us are Laurence Llewelyn-Bowens or Barry Bucknells. There's room for all sorts.

I haven't worked on a building site since before you were born (probably)

If you join the DIY Advice Forum, you shouldn't whine when people ask for DIY advice.

And neither should the OP look a gift horse in the mouth. Plumbers are usually gruff and grumpy. Walk into any plumber's merchants and see for yourself. You are just too soft, John.

Is that your favourite word at the moment? You used it yesterday too.

Sponsored Links
Back