Why use encryption on a wi-fi link

Hi,

My apologies, I do keep forgetting that xp home and pro are different, and also that the simple file sharing creature is enabled by default. As you rightly say, unless you manually make changes, most of the work I do day to day is xp pro, and usually in a domain environment.
I would however reccomend configuring their system to not allow passwordless (is that a word?!) accounts to connect.

Sponsored Links
I have access to all my shared files, network HDD, shared printers from any PC. I don't know much about the accounts, my (short) password for XP logon is the same for all 3 machines and my folder on the network HDD, they all seem to work OK. I don't have to enter the password to login to the HDD though, it seems entering it once when logging into XP does it. I have admin rights on all the machines.

If you have the same user account and same password on all machines then thats how its meant to work. You can restrict access right down to file level using NTFS permissions but thats really another subject.
One thing to bear in mind, its good practice to create shares per use ,i.e. a share called "music" for music, one called "kids" for the kids stuff etc,etc not just share your C: drive.

Eggplant said:
Hi,

My apologies, I do keep forgetting that xp home and pro are different, and also that the simple file sharing creature is enabled by default. As you rightly say, unless you manually make changes, most of the work I do day to day is xp pro, and usually in a domain environment.
I would however reccomend configuring their system to not allow passwordless (is that a word?!) accounts to connect.

I agree.

Nice to have someone to debate with down here tho. ;)

Regards

Ian

Thanks for that, the only shared folders on the computers are the ones called "Shared Documents" in "My Computer". Both of my printers have sharing enabled too. Other than that the its just the network HDD which I have full access to my folder from all machines which I tend to use more as I don't need to turn more than the one computer I am using on to access all of my files.

Sponsored Links
Ok, but what about the connection to the internet provided on at least GNER trains? You start your computer, and you're on. (Well thats the theory, but on one train I knew the whole thing was down, and the other train, I could see the network (gnerwifi) but no connection to the internet.

(I sent some emails to GNER customer service, but they HAVEN'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED THEM YET!!! Are you listening GNER? They offer free connection in first class as a come-on to spend the money)

Back