Wide stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been asked to build a stud wall for a friend but its wider than the ones I have previously done.
It once was a wall which has been knocked down and has a support beam in place about 7 inches wide and they now want a stud wall put in to separate the rooms.
I'm a little worried if I just build it to a normal width it may look strange, so was going to build it to the width of the beam.
For a wall that width would I be best building it as 2 frames?

Sponsored Links
jamesdean1986, hi.

How about you think about the following?

Two layers of Plasterboard is about 25.00 MM. [one Inch or so]
One vertical batten at say 100.MM [about 4 inches or so]
Another vertical batten at say 50.MM [ about 2 inches or so]

Run the normal top and double bottom rails in the 100 by 50 in position, fit the vertical 100 by 50 studs in place, then fix the 50 by 50 studs to the originally fixed 100s

Noggins can then be fitted to the 100 studs and the 50 studs respectively.

All the above, depends on the exact dimensions of the material you can source.

I thought about using two @ 100.MM but staggered in effect overlapping each vertical centrally within the thickness of the partition, but fitting the noggins would be a lot of unnecessary cutting and notching.

Sponsored Links
Maybe sound insulation isn't a problem, BUT if it is (ie. two bedrooms, or bedroom / bathroom) then it's well worth building as two separate walls (although only plated on the 'outsides').

What he said^^ 3x2 cls on both sides.
Otherwise just do a normal stud wall flush to one side, and board around the beam on the other side.

Thanks everyone.
It was a dividing wall between the hall way and living room.
I only had a quick glance when I was there so going back tomorrow to actually measure up everything and iron out exactly what they want in respect of door frame, insulation etc.
The two frames was my first thought because I was worried the 6x2 might be a bit cumbersome, but on the other hand its saves doubling the work load when I'm doing it for free.

Useful feedback there!
They asked me to build a stud wall... so that's what I'm doing.
Brick wall was mentioned, but they didn't want that.

They were a bit vague about why they wanted it separating again because personally I think it looks better being open.
Probably know a stud wall can be taken down easier than brick if they decide they dont like it.

6x2 and 12.5mm board - put some APR inside and its as simple as that. Don't use 2 sections of timber, you'll just double your work load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back