widening an opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a rear single storey extension and my wife now thinks that the existing kitchen window opening (which i will eventually remove and and cut to floor level) needs making wider so to let more light in.
The house is brick outer, block inner with 50mm cavity.
There is a concrete lintel over the current opening but she wants me to make it about 1mtr wider (one side only, not 500mm each side).
The upstairs joists run inline with the house walls so i am sure that the wall i want to open up is not supporting the joists.

Basically.....do i HAVE to use acro's / strong boys or can i just knock away the wall above the current lintel and make good any fallen / disturbed masonry after inserting the new lintel.?

If the advice is to use supports (which i'm sure it will be)...how much are these to hire and whats the key points on using them.?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
£20 for props and strongboys v rebuilding back of house.

no brainer really mate.

no brainer really mate.

I agree. There's a lot of masonry up there that doesn't support itself...or it might...for a while...but for the sake of £20 why would you risk it? :confused:

I expect the extension roof joists are supported by the wall above too??

Sponsored Links

no brainer really mate.

I agree. There's a lot of masonry up there that doesn't support itself...or it might...for a while...but for the sake of £20 why would you risk it? :confused:

I expect the extension roof joists are supported by the wall above too??

Yep...they are > than ametre higher than where i was going to put in the new lintel but already you've all convinced me. To be honest i thought hiring the props was going to be about £100+....thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back