Widespread damp patches on floor not walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After yesterday's downpour I've got some fairly major problems it would seem with damp / water proofing! I live in a first and second floor flat and walked into the house yesterday with large patches of water on the first floor carpet. The carpet was sodden (you could feel the water squeelching under foot) but the walls were bone dry. There seems to be some cracking on the the skirting boards but assuming that is from the floor and subsequent expansion. Upstairs on the second floor we have large wooden floor tiles with a large glass door leading to a roof terrace. This morning we found that the tiles were lifting up as if there was water damage underneath - but from what we can see without ripping everything - the boards underneath seemed dry.

Think I need to get someone in but the real thing I'd like some thoughts on would be how come the floor on the first floor can be so wet but the walls dry. I am assuming that the leak is coming from the roof and have checked all the pipes and tanks and have ruled out a freakish coincidence of them failing during the rain.

Any thoughts welcome

Richard

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a balcony drainage problem to me.

Is there an integral gutter or down pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back