Wifi control of electric heaters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
The Timeguard WiFi spur looks good despite the early negative reviews, looks like Timeguard now use an aftermarket smart app rather than their own. Does anyone have any other alternatives that are worth a look?

I have the exact device in your link that i use to control a towel radiator element. I wanted the element to come on at certain times of the day to dry the towels, and i couldn't find a proper electric towel rail controller that would wifi control both time of operation and temperature. Consequently, i use the Chosry switch to turn the towel rail on at a specific time in the morning for 30 mins, then turn it off for 30 mins, back on for 20 mins and the off again and then repeat the same sequence again in the evening. I wanted wifi control becuase the central heating (which also heats the towel rail) is controlled by a nest. In the summer i use the electric element, and then the heating takes over in the winter so i wanted to be able to turn the towel rail off when i turn the heating on, and also turn the towel rail off when we went away. I've had it for around 2 years and its worked perfectly.

It uses the smart life app which i use to control a number wifi controlled items from a number of manufacturers and it also gives the electrical consumption as well on a daily and monthly basis.

Sponsored Links
I have the exact device in your link that i use to control a towel radiator element. I wanted the element to come on at certain times of the day to dry the towels, and i couldn't find a proper electric towel rail controller that would wifi control both time of operation and temperature. Consequently, i use the Chosry switch to turn the towel rail on at a specific time in the morning for 30 mins, then turn it off for 30 mins, back on for 20 mins and the off again and then repeat the same sequence again in the evening. I wanted wifi control becuase the central heating (which also heats the towel rail) is controlled by a nest. In the summer i use the electric element, and then the heating takes over in the winter so i wanted to be able to turn the towel rail off when i turn the heating on, and also turn the towel rail off when we went away. I've had it for around 2 years and its worked perfectly.

It uses the smart life app which i use to control a number wifi controlled items from a number of manufacturers and it also gives the electrical consumption as well on a daily and monthly basis.
I understand that the Chosry wifi switch can also use Tuya for control, its a shame the switch doesnt also include a thermostat.

Edit: Looks like Tuya and Smart Life are basically the same app.

Last edited:
I understand that the Chosry wifi switch can also use Tuya for control, its a shame the switch doesnt also include a thermostat.

Edit: Looks like Tuya and Smart Life are basically the same app.
You’re right. The two apps are virtually identical. Good though.

Drayton Wiser do a device for switching a heated towel rail on/off, although it doesn't have a temperature control. But then can be scheduled using their app.

Not wifi spurs but I used to use a couple of WiFi smart plugs to remotely turn on a couple of 3kw freestanding oil filled heaters in my workshop. Forget the name now but it was about 5 years ago and they worked fine.

Drayton Wiser do a device for switching a heated towel rail on/off, although it doesn't have a temperature control. But then can be scheduled using their app.
My central heating is controlled by the Wiser system so the electrical heat switch was something I looked at however, I need two plus I would have to buy another room thermostat to control them. The heat switch is not a particularly elegant solution and is quite expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back