Wii back up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been looking for software to back up Wii games,discs, loads of conflicting advice out there, some say easy some free and others say DON'T! anyone here got any personal experience/advice/recommendations etc with this.
cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
don't be cheap, just buy the games :) Game development costs a lot of money and time.

One can create .ISO (and other format) image files of optical media eg. CD, DVD discs.

.ISO file?? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso_file)

These large Image files may be stored (backed up) to HDD (Hard Disk Drive), perhaps to an external device.
The image files may be used to recreate the original media - through the 'burning' process. Usefully, there exists freeby software which can 'mount' an image file to a virtual media player... thus accessing the image as if it were an actual disk in an actual media player... (Doubles up as a good test of the image file before a burn...)

Such image files can be very useful used on a netbook without cd/dvd drive... Inflight movies en route to the 'big red' ;)

There are a few considerations to google for in respect of the image files !! Media protection?... Game Performance running from virtual drive... And more no doubt.

I am successfully using freeby DAEMON Tools Lite I guess there is plenty of similar software ** - I just happened to read up on, then try DTL - works fine... and there is more to it re. handling several types of protection.
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/products/dtLite Haven't tried any imaged games, but other stuff like movies and various Windows install disks have been fine ... a dedicated forum exists on the web site.

**Not necessarily the best or most wide ranging but an insight into other free software
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-cd-emulator.htm

For other files - ie not optical media based I guess a simple everyday backup program should suffice... Of course when you begin exploring this stuff you may encounter the eye glazing statement '...supports incremental and differential backups...' This provides an insight http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_backup Worth checking out 'cause it is very useful.

-0-

even if you do back them up, and happen to have a burner compatible with the wii, you will still need to modify your wii to play the backup discs, or buy a wode - google it- then you can use the backups from a hard drive.

as long as you are aware that under uk copyrite law, you cannot make any legal backups unless expressly written in the terms of use (which it isnt)

Sponsored Links
So what your saying Tim is that , If I buy a game on a dvd or CD then I can't legally make a copy of this for backup purposes only??
I was under the impression that once you buy a game, you are allowed to make a backup copy. After all once you buy the game you have already payed for the licence to use that game.

So what your saying Tim is that , If I buy a game on a dvd or CD then I can't legally make a copy of this for backup purposes only??
I was under the impression that once you buy a game, you are allowed to make a backup copy. After all once you buy the game you have already payed for the licence to use that game.

Thats about it, if you live over the pond, their law allows you to make a backup copy, ours has no such concession, unless, like I said it gives specific permission to do so (like commodore amiga games used to)

I only know because I`ve been up to my neck in copyrite stuff with work recently to sort out our licences for copying/viewing etc. let me tell you, education concessions are even more bizzare, for example, scripted plays, you CAN copy parts of them, but you have to do it by hand, no photocopying/OCR

Thanks for that info Tim.
FYI, years ago I used to arrange music for a carnival band. The amount of hours I spent in the reference library, checking copyright on music was phenomenal. all this for the PRS too.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Back