Wiing Ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have searched and cant find the answer.
I have a ceiling rose that I wish to use to replace old existing landing light.

On removal I have one cable which consists of 1 red wire 1, blue and one sleeved Green and yellow wire. The ceiling rose has 3 terminals with a blue wire, 3 blank terminals - (loop) and 3 terminals with a brown wire and a seperate terminal for the Earth

This is a 2 way switch operation with wall switch upstairs and downstairs.

I have tried every combination, but cant get the damned thing to work.

Can someone help please, single mum, quite practical and sick of running up and downstairs to outside 'shed' to switch leccy on and off - I have been at it hours and need help!

Sponsored Links
Connect the blue?(in the supply cable) to the terminals with the blue, the red to the terminals with the brown and the sleeved earth to the separate earth terminal.

Sorry, I really have lost the plot - it is red, black and green and yellow striped wires.

I have connected the black to the blue, brown to the red and the stripy one to the earth leaving the middle 3 connectors empty.

At one point the mains tripped, cant remember what I was doing - or rather which wire was where, all the other lights etc work in the house and the shared light switch works in the hallway!

Any other advice please - yep, I must be useless!

Your ceiling rose is a simple junction, not a loop in loop out.

Have you looked at the DIYnot wiki - uk electrics- lighting?

In old colour terms the red is live (in new colour thats brown) and the black is neutral (in new colour that is blue).

If you connect them up is everything working?

Whe you say the system trip happened I take in that was an RCD (which has a test button on it) not the circuit fuse, because you will have turned that off so as not to be working live :eek:

Sponsored Links
Your ceiling rose is a simple junction, not a loop in loop out.

Have you looked at the DIYnot wiki - uk electrics- lighting?

Yes, but it's as clear as mud to me, I'm female!
I expect you guys are having a real laugh at this stupid woman
:oops:

In old colour terms the red is live (in new colour thats brown) and the black is neutral (in new colour that is blue).

If you connect them up is everything working?
Everything else in the house is working apart from the new ceiling rose light.

As far as I can tell there isn't anything I could have blown in the actual ceiling rose - do I need to have a look at the wall switch?

When you say the system trip happened I take in that was an RCD (which has a test button on it) not the circuit fuse, because you will have turned that off so as not to be working live :eek:

When I turned the electricity back on, it tripped, I pushed up the off switch to turn it back on - everything else worked.

Might I have blown something in the actual wall switch cos I can't see anything in the ceiling rose that could blow.

:(

It sounds like it's wired correctly.

Is this light on the same circuit as the rest of the lights do you know?

Is it a dimmer switch?

Could the lampholder be faulty?

Hi,
I have searched and cant find the answer.
I have a ceiling rose that I wish to use to replace old existing landing light.

On removal I have one cable which consists of 1 red wire 1, blue and one sleeved Green and yellow wire. The ceiling rose has 3 terminals with a blue wire, 3 blank terminals - (loop) and 3 terminals with a brown wire and a seperate terminal for the Earth

This is a 2 way switch operation with wall switch upstairs and downstairs.

I have tried every combination, but cant get the damned thing to work.

Can someone help please, single mum, quite practical and sick of running up and downstairs to outside 'shed' to switch leccy on and off - I have been at it hours and need help!

Where in Cumbria?

It sounds like it's wired correctly.

Is this light on the same circuit as the rest of the lights do you know?

I have no idea

Is it a dimmer switch?

No, it's a normal switch

Could the lampholder be faulty?

I did have a look at the lampholder, I'll change the whole fitment for another new one tomorrow

Thanks for all suggestions - I may be back! :D

It did work before??

Could be a coincidence, a broken or loose strapper in a switch?

You haven't touched the switches or any other ceiling light fittings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back