Will condensation be a problem with ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post here. Hi everyone. Excellent site this, hope i can help others in the future.

My question is - will i get a condensation/damp/musty/mouldy smell from laying ply onto self leveling compound.

My room is 18 sqm. It needs raising by 30mm. I have found the floor that matches the current wood floor (3 plank parawood) but it is only 13mm thick. A floor fitter guy has told me that because it's only 13mm thick, wood batons won't work. It needs to be screeded and then a floating floor fitted ontop (with a rubber underlay).

I spoke to him and said what if i was to use self leveling compound on the existing floor (which is an old conservatory, which has a weak approx 100mm of screed (it's a bit crumbly, not sure it is screed) and a 3mm compound ontop, there was a carpet ontop of it previously) to level it then a 30mm ply, then the floor on top.

He said that if i did that the ply could potentially get damp on theunderside where the ply sits ontop of the self levelling compound. And screwing the ply to the thin layer of compound wouldn't work.

I want to raise the floor myself (save money) and see the ply route being doable, but laying screed is a tough job to do well. (beyond me)

Is he being over cautious? Could i add a dpm or something under the ply to stop any dampness. Or is there another route?

Or is laying a screed simply the best thing to do?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back