Will I need steel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Would anyone know if I’m going to need steel in this floor structure? I’m planning on a loft conversion as the floor structure is, without the need for steel supports. The wall in pic is a supporting wall (I’ve checked this with builder who looked at footings before). The ends of the timbers are resting on house wall. The house is your typical 1930’s semi-detached with hip end roof. I’m hoping for permission for hip to gable (not a hip dormer) and a dormer at the rear. My second question then would be, I know a steel truss would be needed if a dormer was built at the rear, and obviously the steel truss would run from party wall to new gable wall. But if only a hip dormer is permissible, the steel truss would run from party wall to where? It couldn’t be supported on a timber constructed hip dormer so how would that work? Does anyone have any links to this layout?

Many thanks in advance,
Datadiyer.

View media item 91225

Sponsored Links
Thanks freddymercurystwin,

Unfortunately I live in Wales which I think has different rules. Regardless, i've already used well over my Permitted Developement allowance available. I've only just noticed the Building & planning regs section of the index, I think i'll post it there. Thanks anyway.
Datadiyer,

+1 to the above.

But be advised that if you check with the bods at your local planning department, they could very well say 'no, your hip-to-gable needs planning permission'.

You take this with a pinch of salt because many people who work in planning departments don't actually know anything about planning rules.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I did ring Planning Department and they said i'm all used up on my PD. Would he maybe talking about the extra habitible space the loft conversion would provide. I want to be armed before I ring again.
Cheers.

As said, if you want to know about Planning matters, don't ask anyone in Planning.
By default, they always say you need planning permission (whether you do or not) just to get the fee off you.

I know a steel truss would be needed if a dormer was built at the rear...
No, you won't need a truss. Most hip to gable conversions need some steelwork but it's usually in the form of steel beams.

As the others have said, no PP required for hip to gable and it's not affected by other permitted development.

Hi,
I did ring Planning Department and they said i'm all used up on my PD. Would he maybe talking about the extra habitible space the loft conversion would provide. I want to be armed before I ring again.
Cheers.

If that's what you have been told, they are mis-interpreting the permitted development rules.
Ordinary extensions come under class A, whereas roof enlargements come under class B. They are treated as completely separate, so just because you may have 'used up' your class A allowance, it does not preclude you adding a dormer.
Also, the 40/50 m3 limit applies to the additional volume represented by the dormer itself, it does not include the internal volume of the room in the original roof void.

Thanks Tony,
Realised today that all you guys were right, planning dept. haven't got a clue. Even ringing again quoting the rules stated. His reply? "Oh we don't work by those old rules". Anyhow, it would depend if I need steel supports whether I go ahead with it.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back