Loft conversion info needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am at the point of getting information for loft conversion on my 3bed semi, built in double brick

Currently it has a hipped roof, and the plan is the change this to a gable end and then extend the back out similar to a dormer, but the full width.

Now the issue is that the eaves are lower then the ceiling height, and wondered how the gable end wall would have to be constructed, as I guess the exiasting wall plate would need to stay, to hold the ceiling in the rooms.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Check and see what kind of roof structure you currently have, if its trusses then may find this one expensive painful job..

I can't see the problem. You just build up the gable and remove the rafters.

Your ceiling joists span front to back don't they?

Sponsored Links
I can't see the problem. You just build up the gable and remove the rafters.

Your ceiling joists span front to back don't they?

Yes majority of them, but the rafters on the sloping side can be seen on the inside. It's because the eaves are lower and the ceiling follows the same line.

Can I just continue the wall up in double brick?

But it won't matter, as they come out when you build the gable wall

As Woodworm says the entire hip end and probably the whole roof, right back to commons, will need re-building.

Are you saying you have raked ceilings, i.e. raised tie ceiling joists?

hb077QA01-03_lg.jpg

As Woodworm says the entire hip end and probably the whole roof, right back to commons, will need re-building.

Are you saying you have raked ceilings, i.e. raised tie ceiling joists?

hb077QA01-03_lg.jpg

That image looks similar to my structure, so that the inside has a slope at the last 2ft or so. Removing these will of course damage the ceiling below, which might be a problem in 1 room as its the bathroom that has just been done

You can leave alittle on the inside and then brick up

Unfortunately some collateral damage may be unavoidable.

At least the ceiling rake can be repaired back down to any wall ties i.e. you have a margin before any vertical tiled surfaces.

Just be sure to run a knife through the plaster at the low end of the ceiling rake to prevent any scrims wrecking the wall plaster.

can you take a picture of the externally of the roof?

Unfortunately some collateral damage may be unavoidable.

At least the ceiling rake can be repaired back down to any wall ties i.e. you have a margin before any vertical tiled surfaces.

Just be sure to run a knife through the plaster at the low end of the ceiling rake to prevent any scrims wrecking the wall plaster.

dont think it will damage wall as bathroom is fully tiled

do the labc allow the wall to be continued up in double brick/block and then rendered to match?

do the labc allow the wall to be continued up in double brick/block and then rendered to match?

By this i take it you mean building up the gable end in the same thickness wall as is below?

The answer is yes provided you can then make the wall conform to the latest heat loss regulations.

It will of course mean insulating the gable wall internally with foam board insulation in excess of 50mm thick. The ceiling rakes (sloped bits) will all probably need upgrading with 100mm between and 70mm underdraw or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back