Loft conversion gable wall construction type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We got a company to do a hip-to-gable loft conversion on our end of terrace house.

We have an option of 3 types of gable wall finish/construction
1. timber construction with render - not sure how this works typically. Is it a board that is attached to timber structure that the render is applied to? I will double check with the company but was wondering what is typical
2. timber construction with wall hung tiles (+£1600 + VAT)
3. brick construction I assume it's brick wall construction and finish (+£2800 + VAT)

My question is what are the pros and cons of each option and what do people think about it.
I attached the photo of the house.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-19 095155.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-19 095155.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
I imagine the pros and cons beyond the cost are mostly visually, yes maybe one option suits insulation better or worse, or one option gives slightly more or less space, or slightly faster or slower, what do you actually want it to look like - what would you be happy with? maybe google or take a walk around and decide

For it to be permitted development, it must be brickwork.

Likewise for it to be no maintenence, and more attractive for the neighbours and future buyers.

Thanks for the answer.
I am happy with option 1 from visual point of view but wanted to know if there are any other considerations other than cost and visuals,
kike insulation, noise and how long each of these will last before any maintenance is needed.

Sponsored Links
For it to be permitted development, it must be brickwork.

Likewise for it to be no maintenence, and more attractive for the neighbours and future buyers.
That is interesting.
I can see neighbours have hung tiles on gable wall and received Certificate of Lawfulness from planning department of local council.

May I know which part of https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nt-rights-for-householders-technical-guidance you refer to? I can only find this paragraph:

"A.3 (a) the materials used in any exterior work (other than materials used in the construction of a conservatory) shall be of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the exterior of the existing dwellinghouse"

Yes that's it, the walls are brick so the new wall has to "be of similar appearance".

Your house isn't rendered, so it would look pretty weird to have a rendered gable end...
Hung tile on timber frame or brick (unrendered) would be allowed under the permitted development rules from my understanding.

I found a brick house which had a render gable wall. This is how it would look like I guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-19 154419.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-19 154419.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
Personally I'd go for the brick. One and done. No maintenance.

Hi,

We got a company to do a hip-to-gable loft conversion on our end of terrace house.

We have an option of 3 types of gable wall finish/construction
1. timber construction with render - not sure how this works typically. Is it a board that is attached to timber structure that the render is applied to? I will double check with the company but was wondering what is typical
2. timber construction with wall hung tiles (+£1600 + VAT)
3. brick construction I assume it's brick wall construction and finish (+£2800 + VAT)

My question is what are the pros and cons of each option and what do people think about it.
I attached the photo of the house.
Go for brick every time.

I find the whole notion of being given options by a builder for this type of structural work bizarre.

It's not like selecting starters and mains at Nando's, or a accommodation and excursions on a Jet2 package holiday, or option packages on a new merc.

And the worst thing to do is decide on price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back