Will these plugs be ok to hold lamp in plasterboard ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Is the pendant /rose ,not screwed to a joist or other timber ?
If you really have to mount onto plasterboard , spring toggles would be my choice .

Is the pendant /rose ,not screwed to a joist or other timber ?
If you really have to mount onto plasterboard , spring toggles would be my choice .

No, it isn't unfortunately, was just screwed straight into the ceiling (no plug or anything).

Do you have a link to a spring toggle so I can see what you mean please?

Sponsored Links
BS 7671:2008 said:
559.6.1.5 Fixing of the luminaire
Adequate means to fix the luminaire shall be provided.
The fixing means may be mechanical accessories (e.g. hooks or screws), boxes or enclosures which are able to support luminaires or supporting devices for connecting a luminaire.
In places where the fixing means is intended to support a pendant luminaire. the fining means shall be capable of carrying a mass of not less than 5 kg. If the mass of the luminaire is greater than 5 kg, the installer shall ensure that the fixing means is capable of supporting the mass of the pendant luminaire.
The installation of the fixing means shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
The weight of luminaires and their eventual accessories shall be compatible with the mechanical capability of the ceiling or suspended ceiling or supporting structure where installed.
Any cable or cord between the fixing means and the luminaire shall be installed so that any expected stresses in the conductors, terminals and terminations will not impair the safety of the installation.
Clearly 5 kg hanging off plaster board is not going to work, these
ae235
will take the weight of most lights, but not the 5 kg required. So as DIY you can likely get away with hanging on plaster board, but it could fail any EICR, should the inspector realise.

.... these ..... will take the weight of most lights, but not the 5 kg required. So as DIY you can likely get away with hanging on plaster board, but it could fail any EICR, should the inspector realise.
I doubt that any EICR inspector would be able to find a non-destructive method of ascertaining how the light fitting was attached to the ceiling :)

Kind Regards, John

I have never used a setting tool for the HWAs.

I just knock them in and screw them up tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back