Will You Take Up The Ofer Of 350 Pounds A Month??

Status
Not open for further replies.
one of our children has a granny annexe came with the property and atm used as an office and this has a large bedsitter, kitchen shower and bathroom own access down the side and rear. They can move the office to to the dining room or spare bedroom but they too fear what I partially feared, IE you don't really know the person/s coming into your home and therefore no but my family is willing to volunteer and buy stuff for these groups if required locally.

I think these are legitimate concerns, I don’t have the space, if I did I’d be keen to do it but would be very concerned, perhaps unreasonably.

Sponsored Links
I think these are legitimate concerns, I don’t have the space, if I did I’d be keen to do it but would be very concerned, perhaps unreasonably.

When I worked in soc services years ago and as a front line male officer, I often visited single ladies or those that had split up etc.
About once every 3 months I'd say I'd come across a half-dressed woman and I'd say, ",... you just got up, I'll wait whilst you get dressed" often did the trick. As part of the assessment I'd had to look around the house and ask the renter or owner to join me if they wish and I was very careful when I or they walked past me in a narrow hall/corridor etc. In our department, we had reports of usually the older frail people reporting money missing after a visitor
and often the frail would recall the man visiting - then every so often we'd get a complaint the "man was looking at me in a funny way...felt uncomfortable." Thankfully I never had that but never let my guard down as with me it was more of a case some of them wanting to attack a council rep and blame me for everything gone wrong in their miserable life.

You don't know the history of the person then there is likely to be a language barrier then they may have young children - I would not want the stress but will help as mentioned earlier.

Perhaps they could boot out the fake refugees living it up in hotels and give the Ukranians their rooms. Very easy to weed out the chancers. :idea:

True but how do you determine who is fake?? Just like the Blue Badge abusers some use copies of the BB, some are lent from their crooked mates and some lie to get a BB and these nasty low lives take resources from the most vulnerable in England.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, very noble of you. We must never forget that many in England may want to help but dont have the room, time or be worried about having someone in their home they don't know and possible implications of the goodwill backfiring.

We are all for to help as per my post no matter what country refugees are from.

We will help in other ways.

The 350 and if it is like you said, there will be hardly anything left and people, many are worried re gas and electric bills and possibly losing their single occupation coucil tax status so that needs to be considered along with

Any tax implications
Buildings insurance
Contnents insurance

And in the back of people minds, do they really know the person they are letting in

Once they ahve considered the above and gone through all risk assessments for ALL sides, then is the time to go for it.
Ok, just read the papers and realised I totally misunderstood the £350/month.
I thought that the refugees were to get the money alongside accomodation.
I thought you were asking if we found that taking the money was dignified enough.
So, my answer is no, I won't take anyone in ever again.
I did on many occasions, mainly friends of friends from abroad who needed a start, but the last f#cker messed about and stole from me.
His mum wanted to pay me back, but on her pension it would've been like robbing her.
So, stick the £350 up your derrier...

Someof the answers above, eg about single occupancy council tax are covered in pronciple in the little info which has been released.
The cash is stated to be for food, heating..... but the Ukes will also be able to claim benefits, apart from housing benefit.

I just filled in the universal credit form as though I were a single mum with two kids, and it came up with just under £1000 a month - but that would include housng benefit though.
Unclear. But they should be able to feed themselves.
The oddest thing is that you have to find your own Ukranians, through something like twitface. I suppose you might get a photo or description of the ages of the people.
I assume any property released for the purpose would have to satisfy all the rental sector's requirements, which they may not, if they're something like a holiday home you visit 4 times a year.
You might get desperate people who don't speak English at all and steal everything they can, but you're committed for 6 months at least. I doubt you can evict.
Taking in a lodger gives you rights, usually, if those rules would apply.
I believe you still need some things, eg a gas certificate, if you take in a lodger - don't know for sure.

Not very encouraging.

we have discussed the possibility , before any of the money was mentioned
and decided probably to help out in otherways
Finding it difficult at the moment with cost of living on pension anyway and thinking now of a parttime job, so not keen on having the house open to strangers , we did this many years ago to help out a family from brazil and that turned into a bit of a nightmare....

We'd do it for free and that is a fact but we have never had people living with us that we do not know, hence our willingness to provide other support as stated above
Thanks

in other words its a cop out on your part ?

and you are doing zilch :idea:

dare say some ukranian suffering trauma would not want to live with you any way ?

having to listen to yer pro Russian ball cocks :idea:

I've applied to let them know, I am willing to take in any 21 year old lingerie models. ;)

Andy

You are a disgusting old man mate!!! This is a nasty war situation where women are having to leave their men in husbands, BF, fathers and sons behind and talk about crap like that, utterly sick. Many may have lost everything or may, remove your post as it is upsetting.

we have discussed the possibility , before any of the money was mentioned
and decided probably to help out in otherways
Finding it difficult at the moment with cost of living on pension anyway and thinking now of a parttime job, so not keen on having the house open to strangers , we did this many years ago to help out a family from brazil and that turned into a bit of a nightmare....

Just like us as stated - good luck and together we will make them safe as we can in this terrible situation.

Thank you for confirming my fears of taking in strangers but we both agree it is rare but it happens.

Ok, just read the papers and realised I totally misunderstood the £350/month.
I thought that the refugees were to get the money alongside accomodation.
I thought you were asking if we found that taking the money was dignified enough.
So, my answer is no, I won't take anyone in ever again.
I did on many occasions, mainly friends of friends from abroad who needed a start, but the last f#cker messed about and stole from me.
His mum wanted to pay me back, but on her pension it would've been like robbing her.
So, stick the £350 up your derrier...

No worries, you are a good un.

the more i think about this the more it seems it will be middle age plus homeowners
people renting will have no spare rooms
people in council housing will have no spare rooms due to spare room tax
young families will have young children and probably struggling financially
its only when the family grows and flees the nest not in rented as you have the bedroom tax but in private house
so the best groups 20-45s for helping who will have the school/social groups /health and welfare applicable to young families' knowledge as second nature wont have the time or room

the more i think about this the more it seems it will be middle age plus homeowners
people renting will have no spare rooms
people in council housing will have no spare rooms due to spare room tax
young families will have young children and probably struggling financially
its only when the family grows and flees the nest not in rented as you have the bedroom tax but in private house
so the best groups 20-45s for helping who will have the school/social groups /health and welfare applicable to young families' knowledge as second nature wont have the time or room

The more I think about this the more I worry that a lot of it will go belly up.
Having said that those with family/friends here will find the 350 per head useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back