Win 10 Desktop keeps cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a desktop machine which runs OK most of the time but, occasionally, it has acquired
a nasty habit of cutting out after 10 - 15 minutes roughly. It then starts up again and tells me
"you have files to update" otl.

Sponsored Links
Open the case up. It may simply be a case of the fan on the CPU being full of fluff. If it is then the processor may be overheating and shutting down. You can buy tins of compressed air from the Poundshop. Don't shake the tin though.

Try that first and get back to us.

Sounds like windows update failing to apply over and over. Have you tried searching for "windows update" ?

Sounds like windows update failing to apply over and over. Have you tried searching for "windows update" ?

Oops I failed to pay attention to the bit about "you have files to update". That said, I haven't experienced that causing a PC to fall over.

Sponsored Links
"Cuts out" means what? If it powers off, then you have hardware problems.

I have a desktop machine which runs OK most of the time but, occasionally, it has acquired
a nasty habit of cutting out after 10 - 15 minutes roughly. It then starts up again and tells me
"you have files to update" otl.
Check your settings and see if you're on Auto-Update.

"you have files to update"

I don't recall ever seeing that. If the machine is, for example, overheating and crashing, when it reboots, it will scan the file structure and attempt to make any repairs.

A photo of the screen may be useful.

OK, so have you tried pushing the power connector firmly into it's socket?
With movement it may have come loose.

If not that then as above, you may have to check for the dust in the heatsink etc.

If when you unplug it and open the case it "is" full of thick dust then take it outside and blow it out - do not use a hoover (they create a lot of static that can damage the components).
A clean paintbrush can be used to clean the heatsink, a can of compressed air is available at most high street tat shops these days.

Sponsored Links
Back