Wind Turbines

Wind is now generating 51%

Gas 9%

Even Solar is nearly 4%

The people of Lancashire must have forgotten the days of smoky chimneys, blackened buildings and lung disease if they think windmills are worse.

Sponsored Links
Wind. Based on a recent low we need ~33 times more than we current have to be secure

SHow me please. Everyone knows we can't get all our power from wind. Wind drops, but the period is critical.

Tidal isn't constant. It produces pulses
If you could leave out the bleedin obvious, as well as the irrelevant. it would help.
You're mixing up intermittent with predictable.
That 7 year old Severn thing has been linked many times - it's not happening.

So most of what we're paying to heat our houses and cook, goes to the exchequer.
Any fault in that logic, please?

A lot if it goes to the electricity industry.

Consider that even in normal times, energy from electricity costs you four times as much as energy from gas.

But until recently, a lot of electricity came from gas generation.

And they bulk buy gas for less than you do.

Sponsored Links
The people of Lancashire must have forgotten the days of smoky chimneys, blackened buildings and lung disease if they think windmills are worse.
True. I don't think anyone thinks they can be plonked just anywhere, though,

(Just a reminder that the "Dark satanic mills", were in London ;) )

(Just a reminder that the "Dark satanic mills", were in London ;) )

But there are cathedrals and churches all over England.

(N.B. poem published in 1808)

("Mills of Satan" previously mentioned in earlier poem)

(Prior to the great development of Victorian factories and ironworks)

Last edited:
A lot if it goes to the electricity industry.

Consider that even in normal times, energy from electricity costs you four times as much as energy from gas.

But until recently, a lot of electricity came from gas generation.

And they bulk buy gas for less than you do.
Obviously there are considerable costs in running the gas power generation. I'm having a mulled whine over the wind-electric costs.

The people of Lancashire must have forgotten the days of smoky chimneys, blackened buildings and lung disease if they think windmills are woworse.
Very droll (aka you are talking utter b^@ll@x). Why not add TB, bronchitis, silicosis (often called miner's lung), pneumochoniosis (often associated with cotton dust) and a slew of asbestos-related lung diseases whilst you are at it? The fact is that most of these diseases were the result of a combination of damp climate and industrial working conditions inside the mills and works plus poor housing and poor health care. The advent of the NHS in 1948, the 1960 Clean Air Act and the decline of both textiles and mining industries in the sixties and early 70s were much more responsible for improved chest health, but to an extent that was offset by the increase in the use of private cars. So all several decades before we had any wind farms

Remind me, when were the last factory chimneys in Lancashire demolished?

When was your town hall cleansed of black grime?

The hardships of the past were great.

Now some people complain that they can see windmills.

Last edited:
Remind me, when were the last factory chimneys in Lancashire demolished?
Remind me when the majority of mills converted to electric motor power (because it was cheaper). Answer - 1930s and 1940s (so basically 70 to 90 years ago). The mills which couldn't afford to convert went under with an ever decreasing number of steam-powered mills surviving into the 1960s.

When was your town hall cleansed of black grime?
1970s - or pushing 20 years before we had wind farms

Now some people complain that they can see windmills.
No. People complain that common land was stolen ("swapped") to build these monstrosities, they complain that 50 thousand year old peat moors are having their ecology destroyed by the construction of wind farms (soil compaction, changes to water drainage and run-off - remember we have major flooding issues, changes to the pH of the peat causing die back, soil erosion, etc), they complain about the repeated and constant lies they were told about these wind farms, they are unhappy that the government of the day (Bliar and Co) changed planning law so that it was almost impossible to object to these things, they are unhappy that the wind farms are concentrated in small working class areas instead of being distributed over a wider area (this is NOT because of wind density, either - further north there are good Tory areas which don't have a single wind farm. Why?), and they are unhappy at our environment, despoiled by industry for more than two centuries and having had 50 years to recover, has been taken away again with ZERO benefit to local communities and profits going to firms based in the Home Counties or offshore.

You patently think that we went from coal powered mills to wind farms in a short period. You are viewing the industrial scene in Lancashire through rose tinted glasses

Last edited by a moderator:
WindFrams.jpg

Like almost all the other generators, you mean?

Can you tell me how much electricity these profitable windfarms are delivering?
Exactly like them. With the exception that the costs for Wind and Nuclear power haven't gone up, unlike Gas. So they are making a lot of profit. A windfall tax isn't unreasonable.

Sponsored Links
Back