Window cills - hardwood options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a couple of window cills. Its for my house and id like some decent hardwood.

Other than Oak what other hardwood is popular for use as a cill?

These are the sizes I need, is it going to be a case of gluing and clamping two bits of wood together to acheive the size ?

L 3000 x D 35 x W 300mm
L 3000 x D 35 x W 250mm

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've recently imstalled some large painted windows where the sills were made from Agba (Nigerian Cedar). It's used on painted stuff because it's a fraction of the price of oak, is available in really large sections and is resistant to rot and insect attack

Is the OP confusing sills with window boards?

If so, using 'real' wood means that cupping can be very difficult to avoid.

You need a rebated board let into the window sill and decent fixings into the masonry.

Sponsored Links
yes i mean boards.

:D

Thats for the feedback I am looking into the things mentioned, might have to go a little thinner board to reduce cost

might have to go a little thinner board to reduce cost
It could backfire on you. 25mm is as thin as you want to go.
Thicker the better.
It very difficult to avoid 'curling' particularly if you need to plaster them in, which inevitably is the case.

Are the existing windows rebated to accept a window board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back