Window extractor fan quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we are at present having double glazing fitted, however the old windows had a window extractor fan fitted and the wiring is all there. The window fitter
has cut a hole in the window and purchased a Newlec window/ wall fan to replace the old fan.

However the new fan had a timer fitted and we do not want it to be wired to the lighting. The problem is that we have replaced it with a basic fan shuttered type but there does not seem to be any shutters on the fan. It is going on a north facing window exposed to the north sea wind. Seems a bit pointless having a double glazed window with a great big hole in it. The timer fan was shuttered

We are now in a quandary as what to do, can we change back to the original fan and not have it wired to lighting and if so how do we do it, or can we purchase some sort of cover to go over other one to use in the winter. The fan in question is a Newlec NL883 the fan with the timer on I am not sure of the number as we no longer have it.

Please can someone help otherwise we have a brand new expensive doubleglazed window with a great big hole in it :cry:

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how holes in double glazed windows work, i thought the window had to be manufactured with the hole rather than being cut out after, but you should be able to fit any fan with the same hole size cutout (12"?).

A 'basic shuttered type' fan with no shutters?

Was the old fan 'wired to the lights' ie only came on with the lights? how do you want to be able to turn it on and off?

Hi There,

The hole was made by the factory who made the glazed unit.

The old fan was not wired to the lights, you just pulled a cord and it turned on and you turned it off when you wanted to. I expect the fan was installed in late 70's late 80s when the bathroom was installed. My husband wants to wire it into the existing pull switch.

What makes you think a timer fan cannot be wired into the lighting circuit? I"m very confused by your description, so just to clear a few things up:

- Is the timer fan fitted at present?
- How is the fan controlled at present?

At first you say you just want a "basic fan" and "we do not want it to be wired into the lighting", but then you talk about a pull switch. Presumably this is separate to the lighting switch and controls only the fan?

In any case, you can use a timer fan as a non-timer fan by connecting the live and switched live terminals together and feeding with a single supply from the pullcord. I don't know why you wouldn't want the timer, though.

Sponsored Links
Hi

The fan is not fitted at present, the window man is fitting the window today, I have the fan in the box but this is the one that is no good... We are just on our way out to change the fan back to the one with the timer.

The reason we did not want the timer is that my husband was not sure about the timer part of the fan so decided to change it for a simpler fan, however this has no shutters.

If it can you can explain the timer part to us there is no reason why we can not go back to our original plan :D

Yes the pull switch on the old fan just switched the fan on and off.

The timer fan will have three or four terminals, Live, Switched Live (timer), Neutral, and possibly an earth. You just need to connect Live and Switched Live together with a short piece of wire so that they are both fed from the live supply from the pullcord. Neutral and earth wiring is as normal.

The above assumes the fan does not have a transformer, if it does, you'll need to modify your wiring somewhat.

Hi There,

We have changed the fan for one without a timer but with a shutter :D
this fan however has it's own pull cord, we think we know how it goes, but man still fitting the window.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated, however I might be back :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back