Window hinges cut badly. Now need to be filled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I stupidly allowed someone to install new window hinges on wooden windows. The hinges were slightly larger so this professional cut out the wood with a multi tool.

I am angry and furious with him. Can this be filled and painted. I won’t let him finish the job

IMG_6689.png

Sponsored Links
Why won't you let him finish the job? Maybe he will fill it. Greater concern is: is it safe - is the hinge attached to sufficient wood? Can't tell how deep the hole is. Do a photo of the hinge where the screws are.

The gap between the frame and wall should be sealed.

If there is not enough wood to join the hinge to I suppose he can drill into the brickwork yes?

Are you seriously suggesting this is acceptable work? I am astonished. Yes it can be filled with chewing gum or silicone or filler. That’s not the point

Acceptable or not, it is done. Getting angry won't help. I am not much of an empathiser if that's what you need. I find solution to problems interesting. A solution of suing the "pro" probably won't work because the legal costs can't be claimed back. As for pro's doing the wrong thing, you are quite lucky he didn't demolish your house.

If there isn't enough wood, maybe move the hinge?

Silicone fails too easily. Chewing gum will take lots of chewing, and its long term performance unknown. Fillers might crack and need some maintenance to counter that.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would not pay him and kick him off the job if I was you - That looks like a joke job - Cant believe people work like this

Here is a picture of the bottom frame

Is this acceptable and can the gaps be filled with wood filler or is the frame strength now compromised. This is a 1930 house with original hardwood windows.

I am astonished that tradesmen think it’s ok to use a multi tool to chop away large parts of timber when a wood file and some time and experience would have been better

Honestly am I being unreasonable here

IMG_6692.png

is it just me or does the overcut nicks in the corner look very old indeed the full cut lengths dont look new ??

Looks like the wood needed cutting. But he cut a lot more than necessary. This picture still doesn't help. You need to show how much wood there is at the screws.

Considering that wooden windows (hardwood) on a bay window costs 10K the professional should be paying to have your windows refinished after he butchered them - I believe the OP that these are new cuts and the hinges look new as well - So the tradesmen probably could not be bothered fitting them and chopped out more of the wood

Some of the posters here suggesting this can be filled are delusional - You will always see the filled gaps - Do not let the guy back on the house to work on the windows

i have a youtube video, where brainfizz I think - works on very old doors/windows and has spliced wood into frames - but he tends to use hand tools or router

looks like those hinges are probably needing something like that carried out

You can splice in some shims of timber with epoxy resin.

If it were interior woodwork, I would remove the hinge, wrap it polythene, fill the messed up cut out with 2 pack filler, push the hinge in to it, wait a few minutes and gingerly pull the hinge away without pulling the polythene.

When the 2K filler has hardened, you can pull away the polythene and sand away the excess on the frame.

I do it regularly. It works very well.

Unfortunately, it is not suitable for exterior work, hence the recommendation to use epoxy resin fillers.

The fact that he used an oscillating saw is very worrying.

Some of the posters here suggesting this can be filled are delusional - You will always see the filled gaps

With respect, you are (mostly) wrong.

It is true that even properly spliced timber will expand/contract at a slightly different rate but from a distance of 50cm, it should be not be noticeable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back