Window lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently refitting the bathroom, part of which involves exterior dranage so I have a scaffold up. The roughcast above the window was in very poor condition so I have removed some of it to examine the lintel. To my horror I found that there was considerable wastage and a lot of loose material that doesn't look like concrete at all. In addition a 1/4" steel plate abut 3" deep is located at window head height to provide additional support for what is I suspect a bodged repair done some years ago by the looks of it. The interior of the lintel has some severe looking cracks to add to the mix.

The existing lintel was I think cast in situ, on a 9" solid wall, and is 1250mm wide by 320mm high with a window opening of 800mm. The plan is to acrow the 3 roof joists that are supported by the lintel using a spreader beam across the floor joists, remove the existing, insert a new precast lintel with brickwork filling in above to the wall plate. If the wall plate shows any signs of rot it can be dealt with at the same time. I was thinking that a lintel 1200 by 215 deep by 100 high might be adequate, but I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Woody

Thanks for that. Part of my thinking is dictated by the fact that the lintel forms the window head, and said window is recessed 150mm into the reveal. The lintel has to be at least that deep so it seemed to me that a 215mm deep lintel solves two problems in a oner. I also felt that a 65mm high one looked a bit small, based on nothing more than gut feel. So do you think a 215 by 65 would do, it rather looks like you would?

Regards
Martin

800mm is nothing for a span, and nothing for a 65mm lintel

On the basis that 65mm lintels are common, cheap, and light to lift, then use them instead of a single bigger lintel. Front and back of the wall, and if you like, one on top of the other to make up the space up to the plate, if you don't want to mess about infilling with brick or block.

Sponsored Links
Woody

Thanks very much, I am grateful for your help. If I can master the technology I'll stick up some pics somewhere.

Regards
Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back