Window Opening in Timber Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK so I am finishing off my timber frame for my garden workshop (project here).
I have fitted the noggins and want to get the frame up onto the block walls (its a part block part wood construction).

In the frame that my window is going in I have just moved the two central common studs out so I can fit Jack Studs for the window sill plate and header plate.

Problem - I haven't got my window sill yet (either UPVC or wood not decide) so I am unsure exactly where to fit my sill and header plate. I was trying to fit them whilst the frame was off of the wall so that I can fix the jack studs from underneath with screws.

Would it be ok to fit the frame to the wall minus the Jack studs and winds plates and fit them afterwards by scewing screws in from the top? The two main Jack studs can be screwed to the adjoining common studs I gues.

I am referring to this for names and ideas.

Also - do I fit the breathable membrane before fitting the window. e.g. wrap it around the window trimmer studs, header and footer to for a nice seal before the window goes in?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can fit in any order , the site you reference is in US so terminology is not the same as UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back