Window regulations for egress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one give me the 'low down'??
I know that the clear opening must be a minimum of 450mm in both directions, 0.33msq in total.
But I understand the cill needs to be 800-1100mm from floor level. I can understand the 1100mm max bit, but don't get the min of 800mm???

You guessed - my cills are lower at ~700mm and i need my 1st floor bedroom windows to be compliant due to other work i am having done. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Escape windows were introduced in 1997 from memory, the main reason was due to the growth in replacement uPVC windows and the reduction in opening width due to the size of the casement. With replacement windows in houses built before this date you need to ensure that you do not make the egress any worse. I assume you live in a Victorian house with low cills, originally if the windows were box sash, replacing them with a top hung uPVC window with a limiter would not make egress worse and would therefore be acceptable. It would be worth giving you local authority building control department a call just to check before starting any work.

Yes - 1930's victorian.
Ground floor seems fine. 1st floor is the issue.
Is the only issue with teh 800mm that the glass below this level has to be toughened? Is this not for patio type doors?
What about the cill level for escape?

My building regs are in & it is them that has asked if I comply. I do - mostly.....
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can any one give me the 'low down'??
I know that the clear opening must be a minimum of 450mm in both directions, 0.33msq in total.
But I understand the cill needs to be 800-1100mm from floor level. I can understand the 1100mm max bit, but don't get the min of 800mm???

No, you seem to be getting confused, the regs state that the cill must be no higher than 1100mm, they do not specify a minimum height for escape windows. They do mention that if the cill is lower than 800mm the opening must be gaured to prevent you from falling out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back