Window reveals - cavity closers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the standard procedure for plastering the internal window reveals (cheeks) when plastic cavity closer and polystyrene filler is present. Would it normally be boarded with plasterboard? Even if rest of room is not being dry-lined.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Different ways of doing it.
Personally, I stick plasterboard on them.

1 - you don't risk plaster blowing or cracking on a plastic/poly closer with little physical key

2 - you eliminate the straight vertical joint between two dissimilar backgrounds ( crakc likely due to different movement and no join between materials)

3 - you can stick the board without the adhesive touching the frame or sealer etc around frame , so reducing any risk of damp tracking in from outside .

4 You don't need to float the reveals, saving time and also keeping the frames cleaner

5 If window moves , the fixing are behind the board, not buried in the float coat , so they are less likely to cause cracking as they can move behind the P/B , independent of the surface finish.

That's just the way I do it, there are others.

On price work I find it much quicker to stick them than bead and float them.

Personally, I stick plasterboard on them. That's just the way I do it, there are others. On price work I find it much quicker to stick them than bead and float them.
Best way; use 2 layers of board if you’ve enough room, helps prevent cold spots. ;)

Thanks for replies - if you were sticking two layers, do you stick the first layer of plasterboard, then apply the adhesive to this in dabs or with something like a tile adhesive spreader?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back