Window safety glass in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been told i need safety glass in a replacement window for a bathroom, the height from floor to edge of glass is 116cm and from bottom of bath110 and from what i can find from goggle the minimum before needing safety is 800mm,is this the current regs or am i being fed bs.

Sponsored Links
Unless there's an outside door next to the window (and next to could be in the next room only separated by wall thickness) then yeah 800mm is what I've always gone by. I don't know of any special requirements for bathroom windows.... but the price difference isn't massive- across 2 bay windows (total glass area 1600 x about 5000) it was only £26 difference so why not have it :)

I found that safety glass is really expensive if you want it cut to size because they have a minimum order for toughening, and they can only cut it before toughening. In the end I went for laminated glass, which is a lot more per m2, but once the minimum order was taken into account it was a fair bit cheaper (60 quid for 400x955mm, I think it was 3+3mm obscure glass)
Unfortunately it was just within the distance beside the internal toilet door and not far below the height, even though it's protected above the utility worktop I still went for the safe option.

obnd.john, thanks for that its just that i think he is bumping the price up a bit but as you say better safe than sorry but i did question it and was told it's the regs when it is not as you have made clear,now if he had said i would advise you to have it in case of a slip in the bath i would understand,why cant people just be straight with you nowadays.

Sponsored Links
To be honest they would recommend it because they know how glass breaks and they won't want to be responsible for recommendati glass that later does someone an injury.
Maybe they aren't 100% on the rules but just going on the side of safety.
Always assume the best, , see the positive side of people, but do check what you've been told

noseall,it is a local Co not a big national as i like to buy local, the first Co said they dont make legend70 which i have now but tried to sell me liniar after saying they dont make legend so found other firm who use legend and they came out with the safety glass issue/bs,only want legend to keep it looking the same when fitted but they had no liniar samples in stock,john i do try to see the positive side of people and check hence why we are here.

There's not much difference in price.

Most smaller double glazing companies don't have their own toughening plant. So annealed glass=they cut themselves, toughened glass glass = they order from their local toughening plant.

If the window is near a bath, then why not have it toughened -it shouldnt cost much more. I never bother pricing for any difference, just state toughened where necessary on the quotation.

Assuming average size windows toughened glass only adds about £10-15 per pane

Assuming average size windows toughened glass only adds about £10-15 per pane
Is that on a big order? I struggled to get anywhere to do a single pane at reasonable cost due to the minimum order and the hassle of sending it off. Ended up with laminate in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back