Window seals still not sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone could help.

Rather than get new windows Im going the full hog a correcting and fixing my current double glazed upvc windows. All have 1x side hung sash.

So far I have:
Changed all friction hinges
Replaced all seals on sash and frame with 6mm bubble seals
Replaced all internal caulk
Replaced all external sealant
Replaced all espag locks.
Replaced glazing wedge gaskets

So pretty much like new now..

However 1 or 2 of the windows are not sealing in one area. Almost centre of sash on hinge side. The rest seals. Bottom and top nearest the hinge seals but in the middle there is about 1 mm gap. Very annoying as other 3 windows are fine.

1.I was thinking 7.1 mm flipper seal as it gives me an extra 1mm?
2. I have heard of closing wedges. Would these help?
3. What's caused this could it be frame is slightly warped in the middle?

I have lived here 8 years but windows could be 15+ years old. Not 100% on age.

Any suggestions or help would be great.

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
Closing wedges is what you need, fitted as a pair halfway up each sash as they rub together when closing they pull the sash tight on the rubbers, the one fitted on the sash fits in the euro groove, the one fitted to the frame you'll need to tinker with and move in or out

Should I also put 2 pairs on the hinge side or will one suffice?

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links
Yes that's what you need, just one pair per sash will suffice, the wedge with the peg on is the one for the sash with the peg being the right length for the depth of the groove

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back