window sill problem !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help me out here .Some of my window sills around the house are rotting and l would like to replace them all but the frames are ok.Could someone tell me what l could use to cut away the sill flush to the frame so l could put some new sills on.l would use a hand circular saw but l cannot get near enough to cut at the sill with windows in place.Is there a blade l could buy to attach to a drill. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Try one of these in a jigsaw.
46298-1.jpg

pitbull said:
46298-1.jpg
will this straight cut the joint between sill and frame pitbull, and where can l buy this item.... :)

Any deWalt dealer. Also on eBay. They will, however, only fit bayonet shank machines and not all of them, so check first. The alternative is the tool some of us use for cutting out, the Fein Multimaster, especiually with the eCut blades. A bit pricey for a one-off, however

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Scrit said:
Any deWalt dealer. Also on eBay. They will, however, only fit bayonet shank machines and not all of them, so check first. The alternative is the tool some of us use for cutting out, the Fein Multimaster, especiually with the eCut blades. A bit pricey for a one-off, however

Scrit
l have not got these items and like you say a bit pricey for a one off.Any more ideas how l might be able to do it with a hand tool.l have tried useing a wood chisel but with no much success and l dont want to smash the windows trying...So is there not anything l could attach to a cordless drill to cut through the wood... :cry:

ray316 said:
pitbull said:
46298-1.jpg
will this straight cut the joint between sill and frame pitbull, and where can l buy this item.... :)

also in addition to scrits advice the blade will only fit in machines where the the blade pushes in it won't work if the blade requires a quarter turn as it will foul the base plate

also these blades are only any use for close accsess to the front of the jigsaw not the side

why do you want to cut flush with the face of the frame as thats not the best way to do it""

just remove all rotton wood if that 1" this side of the face or 1"beyond it dosn't matter if its a small bit splice in

if its full length cut full length if possible dowel or buiscut and glue on to save drilling into the front exposed edge

if you do have to chisel up to or beyond the frame
you should start an inch or so away from the finnished edge at around 30 degree angle working back towards the finnished points
so you open a gap so you can removing slithers rather than whole chunks

and most important off all make shure you have a 7degree angle and a capillery grove underneath to shed the water

Thanks for the advice guys. Big-all the whole sills need replacing so it looks like l will have to chisel then this will take me ages. So do l start at the end of the sills on the outer edge and work my way to the frame is this what you mean.. :confused: :confused:

you can remove a lot by using a 10mm drill bit and drill loads of holes along the line and join them up ;)

Bottom pictures here.
Is this your sort of problem? Holkham deal with this by removing the whole frame, stripping it, and making new pieces to replace the rotting bits. It sounds a lot of work, but depending on the age of the frames, it might be worth doing. The older the more worth.

They've done bigger jobs too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back