windows above internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

has anyone filled in the glass windows above the internal doors?? my house is built around the mid 70's when artexing (yuk) and these windows seemed the fashion. Is it ok to cut some mdf sheets and just put a panel either side of the glass??

or is it possible to just gloss over them to fill them in??

cheers

:D

Sponsored Links
Put a sheet of thin MDF over the window & paint it.

if the panels are the only source off light you will need the hall/room lights on all the time!!!

there called borrowed lights,because the hall way is dark with no natural light of its own,if you dont mind wasting electricity all the time then board them over.

Sponsored Links
Or... you could do what I did & make a feature of it.
retains the light & looks nicer.

Cost lest than £20 to do.

These are call fanlights

You can board the opening - fix into the rebate as seen in that image above, or just paint the glass.

But think about it as it can look crap if not done with some thought

These are call fanlights

You can board the opening - fix into the rebate as seen in that image above, or just paint the glass.

But think about it as it can look crap if not done with some thought

maybe up north but down sarf i know them as borrowed lights ;) :)

matty that looks a good job nice idea.

cheers for the replies

its not the only source of light as there is a glass panel door at the end of the landing, plus the glass in them is like a frosted, bubbly type glass and looks horrible!!

thanks for the help

george

Change the glass to something that does not look horrible then :D

Cheers Gregers, it was just an idea to make it look nicer & the wife loves it so I got extra browny points :D

Under orders from SWMBO, I got new pieces of glass cut to size by the local glazier, then let her loose on them with glass paint and lead strip before installing.

That way, it's not my fault if she doesn't like them now :cool:

These are call fanlights
where I come from, a fanlight is a sort of arch-topped window over an external door where the glass is in triangular segments (looks a bit like a fan). Ten Downing Street has one. A popular Georgian innovation.

200px-Harasiewicz_podczas_pracy.JPG

note that the window is above the door frame, it is not in the door

Change the glass to something that does not look horrible then :D
Exactly :!: Did all my fanlight windows with lead stained glass, when the lights goes on or sun shinning it's beautiful to look at

2637_1080651306501_1532856388_214109_2650092_s.jpg
2381_1075535898619_1532856388_200192_5181141_s.jpg
2381_1075531698514_1532856388_200187_2687878_s.jpg

Very nice, much better than my effort... lol

Must have taken some time to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back