Windscreen washer fluid, neat or with water, what water?

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
Like a lot of people I have at some stage had the filter on the washer bottle block. Recently I had to empty the whole bottle as it stank to high heaven. Any suggestions for a ready to use fluid that doesn't need diluting, or whether to use concentrated fluid and dilute with distilled or demineralized or deionized water, and would that water stop the build up of bacteria which I believe is responsible for the stench and possibly the gunk that blocks the filter when using tap water to dilute?

Sponsored Links
Water does not cause the gunk, that’s just impurities in the variety of cleaners used in the bottle during its life with the help of the heat from the engine .

Water does not cause the gunk, that’s just impurities in the variety of cleaners used in the bottle during its life with the help of the heat from the engine .
I always thought that, but some people are under the impression it is bacteria, and I know the bacteria in tap water causes the smell. Just wondering if distilled or similar would be worth using. Window cleaners and some car detailers are now using R/O water as it leaves no streaks.

Sponsored Links
From experience the best type to use is any that you like, but keep using the same, don't keep changing brands. It's the mixing of types that can cause sludge build up.

I have always been taught that old stagnant water (no washer fluid) can cause legionnairs disease, so always suggest using some.

You can periodically clean out the sludge by pushing a garden hose into the vessel, and letting it gush out. Once the filter is blocked you will have to remove it and can scrub out the bottle.

I believe that the chemicals in the washer fluid should inhibit bacterial growth.

I know a few people, often older, who don't generally use the washer so the water in the bottle is old and manky

Obviously, they have dirty windows.

If the car is left standing unused, the water may become stagnant.

Does washer fluid actually do anything in the summer? I have my doubts!
I see that the fluid on sale now is effective down to -10, but I’m still able to buy the -20 stuff.
John

I always thought that, but some people are under the impression it is bacteria, and I know the bacteria in tap water causes the smell. Just wondering if distilled or similar would be worth using. Window cleaners and some car detailers are now using R/O water as it leaves no streaks.
The bacteria in tapwater is counted in parts per million, almost nil, unlike bottled water where it’s over a 1,000 parts per million in the best .
So not enough bacteria.

The bacteria in tapwater is counted in parts per million, almost nil, unlike bottled water where it’s over a 1,000 parts per million in the best .
So not enough bacteria.
Do you know much about how they test for bacteria in tap water and the difference between it and bottled water?
I'd be interested to know where you got that information, that's all.

I know a few people, often older, who don't generally use the washer so the water in the bottle is old and manky

Obviously, they have dirty windows.

If the car is left standing unused, the water may become stagnant.
This ^^^ I fracking hate it when you do a service on a little used car or one that rarely uses the washers as when you test them and you are standing outside the car and operating them through the drivers window, you can get a faceful of skanky, stinking, rotten water. Urgh!

I've used Halford's ready mixed fluid for years. I stick to the (pink) winter version all year round, saves trying to guess if I've got the right dilution ratio & even has a pleasant odour when you use the washers.

Does washer fluid actually do anything in the summer? I have my doubts!

It has a cleansing and wetting action, but unlike Fairy Liquid it doesn't contain additives for soft hands, so won't leave a residue on the glass or paintwork.

Do you know much about how they test for bacteria in tap water and the difference between it and bottled water?
I'd be interested to know where you got that information, that's all.
A program on bottled water, the best tested had a thousand parts per million more bacteria that tap water, the worst around 10 thousand parts per million. Never understood why people fill their trolleys with bottled water , even the cheapest is very expensive compared with tap water and less pure. They also found mineral content to be negligible in any of the bottled waters.

Sponsored Links
Back