Windy location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

we live on a hill overlooking miles around and obv during windy days like the past week or so we get a battering. Since we have been in the house we have had most of our ridge tiles come off along witth roof tiles and guttering.

So now when the wind picks up it can seem rather scarey being in the house as it sounds like the roof is going to come off

my roof is currently a slate style roof where they sit on top of each other so the weight holds them down (1950s house)

im assuming when it gets windy the wind is lifting the tiles up enabling them to sometimes get lifted off or wind in the attic

Is there anything I can do to make the tiles stick down so they no longer suffer from this?

Need a solution to enable us to be less afraid when it gets windy as its driving us crazy

Many thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Using clips in addition to/instead of nails is required for exposed locations

Also, the problem is normally wind uplift (ie suction) and an underlay helps to prevent this.

Apart from that, a wind break from a row of trees would help

thanks

We do have an underlay underneath the tiles (god knows what it would be like without

as far as i know none of the tiles are nailed in? when i watched him replace some he just lifted a load up and slotted them in.

not sure if i have tiles that can be clipped, would love to know if i do

do roofing companys offer this service?

also the roof overhangs the walls slightly and i have no soffits or facias etc, would these be beneficial?

thanks for all your help

I live in a windy area (coastal) and my roof (slates) are nailed head and centre. Bronze nails are used due to the salt spray, and the centre ones are hooked over with a bronze washer to prevent the two adjacent slates lifting.

I am sure a skilled local roofer will know how to do it. Perhaps yours is less skilled, or was not expecting much wind.

Tiles will be done differently, as they are thicker, heavier, and not so long.

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of your roof and we will advise better fixing method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back