Wire a 4 gang extension to an FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to know if there is a reason this would not be a good idea?

Recently moved into a new house and we removed a fireplace housing an electric fire. This was connected to a fused spur off of a socket on the downstairs ring circuit.

I intend to put a pretty large media unit in the spot which was previously taken up by the electric fire, this unit will be flush to the wall (skirting being removed to accommodate this) with limited space behind it, to the extent that I don't even think I could have a plug and socket behind.

So I was thinking if I replace the fused spur with a fused connection unit with flex outlet, I could just wire a 4 way extension directly into it, and keep the extension hidden away inside one of the cupboards of the media unit. This 4 way extension will be limited to powering the TV, PlayStation, Android TV box and Sky Box, so I'm absolutely satisfied I won't be overloading anything.

I'd just like to hear if anyone thinks this is a terrible idea - and if so, why?

Before anyone points it out - yes I know it will be a nightmare if the fuse in the wall blows!

Sponsored Links
Yes, it will be fine. All you are doing is changing an electric fire to a 4way extension - still protected by the fuse.

Is the new FCU with flex outlet one with a hole in the centre?
Unless the old FCU (the cable itself is the spur) is a flat flush plate, I think you will find that it has a place in the bottom of it which can carefully be cut out to make that one a flex outlet - which will look much better than the centre hole one with the flex sticking out.

If the old FCU is not like that then you could get one that is,

connections_terminals_of_fused_connection_unit.jpg

Thanks EFLImpudence,
I haven't checked the existing FCU for a section to cut out so will have to do that, incidentally that's exactly what I was looking to replace it with - the type that allows the flex to come out the bottom.
Thanks again!

I haven't checked the existing FCU for a section to cut out so will have to do that, incidentally that's exactly what I was looking to replace it with - the type that allows the flex to come out the bottom.
Ah. Ok then. I just wondered.

Sponsored Links
I'm absolutely satisfied I won't be overloading anything.
Doesn't matter what you plug in - just as when it was sold, there's a fuse.

Before anyone points it out - yes I know it will be a nightmare if the fuse in the wall blows!
No different, surely, than if you left the fused plug on the 4-way and plugged it into a socket.

Why not relocate the FCU so that it's accessible?

Yeah I figured it would be fine but just wanted to put the question out there just in case there was something I hadn't considered.

I'm not relocating the FCU because I have a cat who really enjoys chewing wires, so having it completely concealed suits me, and avoids the need for me to use conduit to protect from the cat!

Suppose I could relocate, put the flex in the wall and bring it back out behind the unit...

I'm not relocating the FCU because I have a cat who really enjoys chewing wires
1) A trait which evolution will successfully work to eradicate.

so having it completely concealed suits me, and avoids the need for me to use conduit to protect from the cat!
2) I would suggest neither exposed cables nor conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back