Wire a junction box like a ceiling rose.

I know you can clip the cable so no need for cable clamps inside the junction box, but I would prefer this
1659438009218.png
designed for the job with cable clamps.

Sponsored Links
There are no tangles either way.

Does changing which colour is on top in your diagram cause a tangle?

That depends which wire it is.

Anyway wires are not dead straight and exact length like the diagram which is why curvy was better.
In my work there are commonly many cables and find faultfinding/circuit tracing gets very much more difficult when the wires are formed in colour order rather than cable by cable.

Rather than use tangle I'll suggest weave as the black in the circles in both cases goes under a red then over the green, just like a basket or Rattan furniture:
1659437022010.png

During later works lifting left cable raises red of right... or
lifting right cable raises black of left cable:
1659437363843.png

I accept it doesn't seem that much of a deal in this mock-up (apologies for poor focus, the cheap camera seems to be throwing a wobbly) but once inside the confines of a small JB with 20 years of alterations, spiders webs and restricted access under a floor etc it becomes a different story.
I also appreciate it doesn't always work out in the way I try.

Thanks Eric for posting a picture matching my method of wiring a JB

Thank you all for your replies. This was very helpful! Here's the final result.. Much better now! Still have to find a way to clip those cables but it's quite hard to move them. I doubt they will go anywhere anytime soon!
IMG_20220802_172145.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's not bad, perfectly acceptable.

Although most would tend to remove more of the grey sheath so no more than 10mm or so of grey sheath enters the box.

I would tend to push the wires through only one side of the connector block, because it's usually neater and quicker, but that's just me.

If you only have one wire going into a terminal hole, ensure the wire end is doubled over to give the connection a bit more strength.

A very good try though.

Thank you all for your replies. This was very helpful! Here's the final result.. Much better now! Still have to find a way to clip those cables but it's quite hard to move them. I doubt they will go anywhere anytime soon!
View attachment 275872
To be honest that is very very much better than many professional electricians work
I'd be happy to be the next person to work in there.
Oh and unless the cables can be pulled at other end of the flexible tube I don't see a need for cable clips.
Possibly for the tube though.

To be honest that is very very much better than many professional electricians work
I'd be happy to be the next person to work in there.
Oh and unless the cables can be pulled at other end of the flexible tube I don't see a need for cable clips.
Possibly for the tube though.
you make me blush sir :D

Seriously thought... this honestly ****es me off. When I pay someone to do something and they do it worst than I would have done it myself, it makes me so angry! I do not have the necessary stuff to properly test a circuit. If I have to do something complicated or permanent, I always pay a professional to do it. Before finding someone decent I've had at least 3 jobs done to appalling standards by people that were supposed to be reputable electricians (and not the cheapest ones). It makes me so mad! And this of course it's not just about electricians... any professional really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back