Wire a PIR with independent switch

RSE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I need some help on this please.

I have a two external wall lights that are currently switched on by an internal switch (so I'm limited by having them either On or Off); I am now adding a wall mounted PIR into the circuit to allow me to have the option of having them controlled by the PIR, as well as the switchable On/Off option).

I have run 3C&E cable from the PIR (think the brand is Aurora) wall mounted location back to the internal light switch location (I have a spare switch location on a 4 way switch that I intend to use to control the PIR); the actual PIR unit has a Live In (i.e. there is an L with a down arrow next to it), a Neutral, and a Live Out (i.e. the PIR has an L with an arrow going up).

The switch I intend to use to control PIR is position 4 (i.e. see first photo - note nothing is wired into yet) and light's ON/OFF switch is position 2. I have the 3C&E (see second photo) waiting to go, but don't know what goes where. I also suspect I need wiring to go back to the lights (I’ve read number of Forum topics but have confused myself).

Any guidance will be much appreciated – this job has been waiting to be finished for months.

Sponsored Links
I normally install a centre off switch for PIR control.

They are availible for your switch (click minigrid)

Sponsored Links
So what's going on at the switches you've already wired up?

Why so many cores at the switch terminals?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back