wire configuration of junction boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a correct way to position the twin and earth cable when using a junction box with three connectors ie does the earth have to be in the middle or not

Sponsored Links
The 'earth' is in the middle of the cable so I would use the middle terminal in the junction box. There is nothing stopping you doing it any other way but why would you want to?

Is there a correct way to position the twin and earth cable when using a junction box with three connectors ie does the earth have to be in the middle or not
it can be done any way you wish, but remember JB's need to accessible for inspection and testing, therefor can not be buried in wall, in ceiling voids or under floorboards unless an access trap is made.

Sponsored Links

BE AWARE that on SOME 3 terminal junction boxes you have to use the middle terminal for the earth.

This is some (pointless really) attempt to earth the centre cover screw.

You don't want the cover screw becoming live, do you?

I should point out I have only seen this on older junction boxes, but be careful all the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back