Wire under floor to garage (internal)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am running power from my fuse box in my house across the hall way floor and through a wall into my garage, which is on the side of the house. As you can see the wire will not go outdoors at all.

I have some thick wire (cannot remember off hand but cooker spec ring thickness), which will take the power from the house fuse box to a mini fuse box in the garage. This will then power the lighting and sockets.

I plan to do all the wiring my self apart from the fuse box end and garage mini fuse box bit. I will do all sockets (ring) and lights (radial).

The area which I am unsure of is the running of the main cable from fuse box in the house across hall way and into garage.
To get from the fusebox to the floor I can chase the wire into the wall and plaster over that bit fine, but when it gets to concrete floor, I was going to chip out channel and put the wire in metal tracking. Is this best method?, does the wire need to be a certain depth down? or use certain conduit?. Could it be put in and filled in over top with filler?

Any advice or tips would be great. ;)

cdjockey

Sponsored Links
Rather than chase into the concrete floor, you might find it very much easier to go upwards, lift a first-floor floorboard, and poke it between the joists, then out into the garage ceiling, then pull it down a small hole.

use earthed metal conduit in the concrete. its the best way, though very difficult for a DIYer. The easier method (though still tricky for DIYers) would be to use earthed steel wire armoured cable. Is there another route you could go instead?

Sponsored Links
This work is notifiable.

Who will do the parts that you don't plan to do?

Have you found someone prepared to do it?

Have you notified LABC yet, and if so, are they happy with the arrangements that you're making?

JohnD said:
Rather than chase into the concrete floor, you might find it very much easier to go upwards, lift a first-floor floorboard, and poke it between the joists, then out into the garage ceiling, then pull it down a small hole.

I would do this if I could but as i'm on a hill the garage is lower than the first floor floorboards.

looks like armoured cable might be best. could it be normal pvc wire down the wall, and then go into a box and come out armoured across the floor.

how deep would it need to be ?

ban-all-sheds said:
This work is notifiable.

bugger, all of it or just bits?

ban-all-sheds said:

No, I thought I could do the time consumming bits, laying wire and stuff and just get an electrician to do the connecting up and fuse box stuff.

ban-all-sheds said:
Have you notified LABC yet, and if so, are they happy with the arrangements that you're making?

didn't know I had to notify them, I thought as long as it was check off by qualified spark that was all that was needed.

thank you for info. ;)

cdjockey said:
ban-all-sheds said:
This work is notifiable.

b*****r, all of it or just bits?
It's a new circuit, so all of it.

ban-all-sheds said:

No, I thought I could do the time consumming bits, laying wire and stuff and just get an electrician to do the connecting up and fuse box stuff.
You will certainly find one who is happy for you to do the labouring in terms of chopping out the floor etc, to his specified route and depth. Your best bet is to first find your electrician and see what he's happy to have you do.

ban-all-sheds said:

didn't know I had to notify them, I thought as long as it was check off by qualified spark that was all that was needed.

Read this.

If you use an electrician who is a member of a self certification scheme, you do not have to notify building control. Your electrician will do the notifying for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back