Wired a BT66 box - getting an engaged tone!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After managing to cut the main phone line coming into the house, I bought a BT66 box and some jelly crimps. I just crimped together the four pairs of coloured wires, leaving the three yellow wires loose.

I am now getting an engaged tone. I can dial a number but the engaged tone is constant and the call does not go through.

What have I done wrong??

Sponsored Links
[1] cutting the wire
[2] attempting to repair cable belonging to BT
[3a] shorted together the two wires bringing the phone line to your house
[3b] shorted the battery leg ( -50 volt) to ground
[3c] triggered a tamper alarm at the exchange.

3c is very unlikely but not impossible

4. Connected the wrong wires, so your indoor socket/telephone is on the wrong circuit.

Either way, your only option is to contact BT or whoever provides your phone service so they can arrange for Openreach to repair it. Expect to pay at least £100.

4. Connected the wrong wires, so your indoor socket/telephone is on the wrong circuit.

Either way, your only option is to contact BT or whoever provides your phone service so they can arrange for Openreach to repair it. Expect to pay at least £100.

if they repair it :confused:

Sponsored Links
Exactly where was the cable cut ? Could it be supplying phone service to other houses / flats as well as yours ?

When do you get engaged tone ? Before or after you dial a number.

Do you get dial tone when you pick the phone up ?

What happens if you dial your landline from a mobile or other landline. ( I do know a numpty who dialled his own number from that phone to see if it was working )

You say you have cut it but did you also squash the cable? More than likely you have a loop fault where the a and b legs are in contact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back